2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: The ebb and flow clean up crew  (Read 2657 times)

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
The ebb and flow clean up crew
« on: December 18, 2012, 15:49:35 »
So I used to have a really decent clean up crew, a mix of snails, peppermint shrimp and various crabs and one coral banded shrimp.  over the months the crew has shrunk...I suspect the coral banded guy but it could just be nature (inverts do pass on - right?).  How often do people generally 're-stock' their clean up crew?

Mason Rob
Still tweaked at Jack's Aquarium for dropping their SW fish, corals, inverts, etc. out here in Deerfield Township.  They told me the Dillonvale store would still carry them.  I go down to Dillonvale and viola - they removed SW stuff from there the week before I went down there.  I feel a Hee Haw song coming on "Doom, Dispair and Agony on me..."

Offline tidepool

• Adult
Re: The ebb and flow clean up crew
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2012, 20:22:24 »
Jack's must be clearing out all SW stock from all their stores - the Beavercreek store eliminated their stock at the end of the summer.... gotta make more room for cat/dog stuff I guess....

:-Cry

Offline woltersb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2012, 22:59:05 »
The Huber Heights still has a supply and is always restocking..

Offline MasonRob

• I'd rather be on the gulf
  • Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2012, 07:59:02 »
So the question is:

Do folks generally have to restock some/all of their Cleanup crew every X months?  Note I have had this tank going for coming up on 2 years now so natural selection (aka death) may be the culprit.  Just wanted to guage other folk's experiences.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2012, 08:07:29 »
Generally yes, most clean up crews will be to be restocked, although each tank is different.  This can be diminished if you keep species that will breed in your tank, which can be a nice bonus.

Personally I've found that if I keep hermits, snails are usually all killed within 6 months no matter how many shells are available.  So I've gone to a snail only tank, which has worked well until lately my Blue Jaw Trigger has decided the babies they are producing are tasty treats.  So I'm really back to square one, but those that live in my frag tanks are reproducing quite rapidly.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2012, 10:10:14 »
Like neogenesis I have had same experience. Went to snail only tank and use snails that reproduces in the tank. Started with 25 and now have 1000s of them. They all hide during day so I don't see them which is nice.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2012, 10:34:30 »
Lazy.....which snails are you keeping?

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2012, 11:44:21 »
I'm keeping a snail only tank also Hawaii strombus (sp) and they reproduce like crazy I do have one scarlet hermint that's been in there for a couple years but I don't notice him messing with anything

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2012, 12:32:43 »
Hawaii Strombus here too

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 17:11:41 »
I have H. Strombus breeding in my tank and don't know how they got there, hitch hikers I guess. I also have striped trochus by the hundreds but they never get as large as the parents, also have cerith breeding and they stay small also. The only snails that I add now are nerites which seem to be very hardy. I like hermits in my tank and keep about 4 or 5 different types. Add them as needed which isn't very often.

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 21:56:33 »
I'm keeping a snail only tank also Hawaii strombus (sp) and they reproduce like crazy I do have one scarlet hermint that's been in there for a couple years but I don't notice him messing with anything

Would you sell some? I need to get some breeding because I can not afford to keep restocking. Pm me please as to prices.
Ray
The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!