2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Moving a 220gal tank  (Read 1528 times)

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« on: January 12, 2013, 01:06:02 »
So may have worked a deal on complete setup, all 220 gallons haha. Anyone have any idea how to move it? It would go from Huber Heights to Tipp City.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2013, 08:21:17 »
You need a lot of strong people & a pick up. Or hire it out.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2013, 10:56:01 »
Ya was measuring and I don't think I can fit through house do to length and width.. Have look for a 90 I guess

Offline Viggen

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2013, 15:47:06 »
Make it fit.... So worth it.... I had to bring my 475g through a front window :)

Would a 150g fit? 
300g tub o fish

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2013, 16:19:54 »
Ya my biggest concern is the weight....

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2013, 16:57:08 »
Generally, there are a couple of concerns when moving a tank, that depend on a few questions..

Is the tank up and running now? Are you buying the current contents if so?

First let's think about the livestock..

Do you have enough containers (feed troughs, clean plastic barrels with tops or bungs, sealable buckets, etc) to move as much of the existing water as you can? Do you have enough EXTRA containers on hand to set up to do a 50% water change once you get everything home?

How long is the trip, and what's the weather in between there and home? Is the vehicle the livestock will be traveling in open like the back of a pickup truck, or closed like a van? If open, how do you plan on maintaining the temperature? an inverter and a bunch of heaters?

Do you have enough large bags (and containers to hold them upright)  to bag up the fish into small groups that won't kill each other during the ride? How about corals? And live rock? You really want to keep that wet if you're setting the tank back up immediately.

Is there any live sand to be moved? If so, how deep is it? If it's a DSB, you probably want to either start fresh, or rinse the sand before reusing it.

On to logistics..

How is the tank plumbed? How much of the plumbing will have to be cut to get things apart, versus screwed apart at unions, etc etc. Do you have enough spare plumbing parts of the appropriate size(s) to stitch things back together at home if you end up cutting a lot?

How many friends do you have that you'd trust with a corner of a tank that you just paid a lot of money for? How much beer and pizza will it cost to get them to help you out? hehe..

Do you need to rent a trailer or even a moving truck for a day to get the thing moved? Will it fit in the house without removing anything? If not, can you remove a window or a sliding door panel?

When you get the tank in your house, where will it sit, and what's the structure under it? If it's pier and beam or joist construction, can you sit the tank next to an exterior wall to minimize sag? Or shore up the floor from the crawlspace or basement?

Is there enough electrical amperage to handle the new, larger tank where it'll sit?

Assuming you get the tank moved, set back up, get the plumbing stitched back together, and all the live rock back in, lighting set up, and everything running, how long will it take for things to settle down before you can put the fish back in? If the water got really cold during the trip, you'll need to heat it up in a hurry. Do you have a temporary trough or tank you could use to house the fish and corals in until the mess settles in the moved tank?

I've moved tanks a few times, those are just some of the things that I've ran into.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2013, 22:55:12 »
4 people can easily carry a 150-220g tank.  If for a long distance a few extra hands are helpful, short distance two people can move it.  Wen I sold my 210g two of us carried it 30-40 feet..... The guy that purchased it joked before we moved it due to his weight being 100-120 lbs.

If the tank is up ad running, use some trash cans or Rubbermaid tubs to hold the stuff and mix new water......

Or,are you concerned about the weight on the floor of your house?
300g tub o fish

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2013, 22:57:30 »
Floor of my house

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2013, 23:20:51 »
Is the place where you want to put it on a slab, or floor joists? If joists, are they running parallel to the long axis of the tank, or perpendicular? Is this along an exterior wall, or where there's a beam running along the floor?

Let me do a quick sketch-up..

edit:

If I had a big tank to put in a house with pier and beam construction, I'd shoot for spot #1 first- it crosses multiple floor joists, and is right up next to the outer foundation wall, which is obviously well supported. #2 is less preferable but also good because you have floor joists perpendicular to the tank and a beam (which likely has piers or posts under it). #3 is close to a foundation wall, but only one floor joist to support it, and #4 really stinks unless you want to add extra support under the tank.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2013, 23:50:33 by Ashlar »

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2013, 11:00:06 »
Wow thanks!!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2013, 11:19:02 »
No problem!

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2013, 11:35:16 »
I can always add supports in basement as it is unfinished

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2013, 11:58:28 »
Yup, and if you ever plan on finishing the basement, you can incorporate where you plan to put walls with your bracing. A load bearing wall directly under where the tank will be can be used to hide a beam and jack posts.

Offline woltersb

• Adult
Moving a 220gal tank
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 14:16:20 »
Might make it easier to convince the GF that way