2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Gerbers  (Read 2320 times)

Offline njrdc

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Gerbers
« on: February 09, 2013, 16:11:37 »
Is it ust me or is Gerbers really over priced. i was checking some gobies out and coral pets in cincy only wanted 25 for a dimond gobie and gerbers wanted 40 for one!!!! :-[

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Re: Gerbers
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2013, 20:06:00 »
Generally, Gerbers has higher overhead than other places like Coral Pets.  However, you get something at Gerbers you can't get elsewhere; variety.  Example:  recently I bought a blonde naso tang, a desjardini sailfin tang, and a yellow eye kole tang from Gerbers.  The price was about 10% higher than other places, but IMO the livestock (fish) is healthier and seem to live longer.  Plus, if you want a purple tang, it's nice to have 5 to see, feed them, and pick the one that eats the best.  Thats the advantage of Gerbers.  All of my fish except my shoal of red spotfin anthias came from Gerbers, and they are going strong.  I get my other fish from Phishy Business in Columbus.My melinarus wrasse came from Coral Ranch, but Rich is long out of business.  I go to Marine Solutions for food and corals, and Premium Aquatics for those items I need NOW that everyone else doesn't carry.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Viggen

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2013, 12:51:30 »
Yes, they have always been on the expensive side even when they were wholesale only.  However like stated usually they have the largest variety in this part of the state fish wise. 

Why are they expensive?  Because they can...... :) you can also sometimes haggle on the price, especially with more expensive fish.  Might only be a few bucks but it can be done

I do think their quality is far superior then it was several years ago, not a clue why
300g tub o fish

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2013, 13:43:33 »
Is it ust me or is Gerbers really over priced. i was checking some gobies out and coral pets in cincy only wanted 25 for a dimond gobie and gerbers wanted 40 for one!!!! :-[

If you're looking for something special and a decent price, John at Marine Solutions is placing an order; check with him!
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Jo3y06

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2013, 14:22:10 »
Make sure you know if the fish/coral your after is captive bred or not. Captive will be much less likely to develop diseases and are usually more hardy then imported fish/coral. Price sometimes reflects this. Import cost as well as acclimation, and feeding premium live foods to finicky eaters adds up. If I spot a fish I like I usually will watch it a couple days out of week before buying just to see its activity lvl as well as how good it eats. I know at gerbers the prices are high  there are lots of competitors out there. The bottom line is if you find what you want most likely price isn't an issue.