2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: why its so hard to use this webset...  (Read 2869 times)

mikec

why its so hard to use this webset...
« on: March 31, 2013, 01:52:50 »
ok, i signed up couple days ago, because there is some live rock and equipments i need to sell., its been 5 days, i still unable to post my ad on "for sale" forum.
it took me 2 days before i realized that "new arrival" was the only place i can post my first topic, after i posted there, i found the button for new topic appeared in the "reef discussion",  finally "WTB" today.
dont wanna be nosey but i feel like whoever made this web like a "level game" thing, need to make it more clear. to much guessing and too much searching before one can use it normally. new members will lose interest and never come back if they dont have the patient to figure all the steps out.

im posting this cuz i really feel so bad that i spend a lot of time trying to post my ad. i know there must has some kind of steps new members need to go through, but please give some notes..
i will try again tmrw, if i still unable to post new topic in"for sale", i think i have to go back to CL, thats a lot a lot easier....

Offline volcano

Re: why its so hard to use this webset...
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2013, 08:18:05 »
I am not positive, but with most forums, like this one.  You will need to have so many posts before posting in the classified section.  However, I will need to double check that.   If that isn't the case we will for sure help you figure it out.  The club's site is very user friendly. 

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2013, 09:05:00 »
Pretty sure it's 10 posts before you can put up stuff for sale or pm people....

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2013, 09:18:51 »
Pretty sure it's 10 posts before you can put up stuff for sale or pm people....

If it is 10 i'm sure the admin's set it up this way to combat spammers, and spam bots. Ten posts is really not asking a lot to have a free space to sell your equipment to a very generalized audience.

This is an advantage for all of us as we don't have to sift thru tons of garbage posts to see legit threads for sale.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 10:31:19 »
Yea, most sites are done this way to hopefully discourage people from signing up only to sell stuff then never be heard from again.

Also minimize spamming.....

One of the other forum I visit, car audio stuff required 50-100 posts before classifieds could be used
300g tub o fish

mikec

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 11:21:34 »
thanks, everyone.! Now I know I need 10 posts. I don't have to try it out. That great.
However, I think instead of just hiding the "new topic" button, they can at least write some notes. Making sure new member will know what to do.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 11:34:23 »
However, I think instead of just hiding the "new topic" button, they can at least write some notes. Making sure new member will know what to do.

That's a good suggestion, Mike. I will work on writing up something to sticky on the "New Users" forum outlining the post requirements for PM's and classified forums posting.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 12:47:58 »
Mike or is it Chris? You have had an account on Ohio Reef under the username Chris since November 2012. You have been online today under that account and been monitoring this thread. When someone creates an account to sell something hiding their identity it may be for deceptive reasons so members beware.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2013, 14:48:02 »
thanks, everyone.! Now I know I need 10 posts. I don't have to try it out. That great.

After further research, this is all spelled out in the introductory email you received when you joined Ohio Reef.

Offline Ramathorn937

• Fry
Re: Re: why its so hard to use this webset...
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2013, 16:48:51 »
Mike or is it Chris? You have had an account on Ohio Reef under the username Chris since November 2012. You have been online today under that account and been monitoring this thread. When someone creates an account to sell something hiding their identity it may be for deceptive reasons so members beware.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2013, 17:27:32 »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Re: why its so hard to use this webset...
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2013, 17:42:25 »
If it looks like a fish & smells like a fish, it's prolly a duck. Right?