2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Clam died?  (Read 1720 times)

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
Clam died?
« on: April 25, 2013, 21:08:00 »
So I just noticed clam was dead. I saw a bristle worm in it yesterday and didn't know if it was dead or not but today my saw my cleaner shimp eating it up.   Tank prams are perfect? Why it die?  Had no fish in the tank so no one was moping at it and I know it was alive yesterday morning today it was comeplfy ate up. Almost nothing left in the shell?

Nitrate 0
Phos 0
Ammo 0
Cal. 480
Alk 11
Mag 1500
Sg 1.026

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Clam died?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 21:45:47 »
When's  the last time the claim was moved

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 21:52:58 »
Three days ago I had to remove all coral and rocks down to sump to catch all my fish. But it always stayed in same system water. And was only down there for a few hours.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 21:54:09 »
I just saw if alive and fully opened less then 36 hours ago. After I put it back in dt.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 21:57:46 »
I would have to guess you ripped the foot on the claim when you moved it sometimes takes a few days to die after ripping it

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 22:03:09 »
Well I moved on with the rock it was on. Would that still happen. I also notice when I grabed it after it was dead the foot was still attached to the rock. Would it tear even if I moved it with the rock?   This was my first attempt with a clam and was very leery of trying it. Only bought it because it was $30. Now I'm afraid to try another one.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Sonnyred

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 22:43:30 »
I'd say go for it. I always try everything in this hobby related 3 times before I throw in the towel.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 10:19:50 »
How much light did you have it under. And how big was it.

I would guess it either starved, or was stressed.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 15:47:49 »
Well I have those marine solutions light and u have the clam in a rock about half way up the tank.  And I tried spot feeding it I usually spot feed once a day or every other day.  Oh and it was really small maybe like 2in long 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2013, 15:51:32 »
Clams under 3" need very special care.  More than likely yours starved.   I would really try to get one bigger.   Once a clam get around 3" or so, they get all the food they need from the light.

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2013, 16:23:18 »
Well I have those marine solutions light and u have the clam in a rock about half way up the tank.  And I tried spot feeding it I usually spot feed once a day or every other day.  Oh and it was really small maybe like 2in long 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Heathcoot

• Fry
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 00:06:01 »
sveral things could have happend, when was your last water change, what did you spot feed and how many times did you do phytoplankton live or bottles or have you not, dependent on what kind of clam you had weather it was squamosa, dersa, crocea, or maxima some preffer bare rock such as maximas and some preffer sand to bury their foot and some like both like crocea. also some dont need as high as light squamosa and dersa dont need the same light intensity as maxima or crocea. hope some of this helps