2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 75 gallon reef build (this is my first "real" reef tank)  (Read 13435 times)

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 75 gallon reef build (this is my first "real" reef tank)
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2013, 05:05:33 »
You could try reading the resistance across each one. If they match or are pretty close, i'd think it would work just fine.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2013, 08:05:07 »
That angel is sexy. Tank is looking good.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2013, 11:15:56 »
You could try reading the resistance across each one. If they match or are pretty close, i'd think it would work just fine.

That's what I was thinking. I'm going to check it out this weekend.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2013, 00:49:18 »
Got some new additions and moved some stuff around. I'm just going to post new things that I put in the biocube as a holding place here.

I got a diamond goby

Got a coral banded shrimp. This picture is kinda hard to see but I can't believe I got a picture of this. My coral banded is cleaning my angel.

I love the way this anemone looks. Its white with blue and green streaks through it.

The next 2 shots are of the tank are to show you where I placed some of the corals.

All of the sps, the clam, and anemones are in the biocube along with the other 2 shrimp and pair of clownfish. I was trying to move the shrimp but haven't had luck catching them yet. I don't like how white the tank is. I was thinking about changing out some leds for blues but I may just get a pair of ms120 lights.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2013, 03:22:19 »
Looking great!!
Brent McCloskey

Offline matt78goins

• Fry
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2013, 22:53:02 »
Nice job on the rock.  Looking great

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2013, 23:26:39 »
Thanks guys! I'm really pleased with how it is all coming together. In a couple weeks I'd like to start putting sps across the top shelf. If any of you have some nice pieces or frags you're looking to sell let me know.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2013, 23:44:56 »
Where's the clam?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2013, 01:53:01 »
He's in the biocube still. I have all of the sps and anemones in there too. I havent moved the cleaner shrimp, sexy shrimp, or clownfish either. I was waiting to move some stuff on the off chance the 75 isn't ready for them yet. Although I'm pretty sure it is. Here's a picture of the biocube. Just moved some stuff out of the anemones path again. He's on the move. Do I have to worry about him getting too close to the baby RBTA (bottom right)? He seems very comfortable where he is.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2013, 19:41:32 »
Is that a condy? They usually stay out in the open but its hard to tell with anemones, in general, where they'll settle.
Brent McCloskey

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 19:45:00 »
What type of clam?
"Not using a quarantine tank is like playing Russian roulette. Nobody wins the game, some people just get to play longer than others." - Anthony Calfo

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 20:54:40 »
Its a crocea clam. I think that's how you spell it. Lol

I was told that the anemone is a long tentacle. I trust the guy I bought it from and it has an orange foot which matches the description.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2013, 01:02:56 »
A new addition to the tank. A chocolate tang.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: May 25, 2013, 04:03:29 »
Good looking fish
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2013, 01:49:40 »
Good looking fish

Thanks man.

I did have a casualty. My diamond goby ended up dying and he was eating and seemed ok. Must've just not been a healthy fish. I only had him for a week.

All of the water parameters look great. The chocolate tang looks great and is eating very well.

I decided to put the clowns in tonight.

I did manage to set up a 20g quarantine tank this weekend so that is under way and cycling with some live rock rubble.

Here's a full tank shot of the 75.

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2013, 04:13:17 »
Looks great!
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2013, 00:39:18 »
I've got a few new updates. I ended up losing the tang. I saw ich pop up on him so I chased him around and stressed him out trying to get him into quarantine. Should have just left him alone. It was a rookie mistake and I blame myself. I plan on getting or borrowing a fish trap for future use.

I got a couple pieces of coral.

Flamingo sunset monti frag

Green slimer acro

I got the quarantine tank going and got a fish into it. I decided to take a chance on this guy because he is one of my favorite fish. Heres the QT.

Here's the new guy. It's a male blue throat trigger. From what I've seen and heard I'm pretty confident about him being "Reef Safe". He has a sore on his face right below his mouth. It doesn't look like cauliflower but I'm treating him with melafix and he will stay in the QT for 6 weeks. Hopefully I can get him all healed up and eating well. He looks very healthy other than the sore. I got him for a steal and like I said, He's one of my favorites. If anyone has experience with these fish or tips please chime in. I know these guys are pretty hardy but the last thing I want to do is loose this fish. 

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
75 gallon reef build (this is my first "real" reef tank)
« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2013, 10:54:36 »
That trigger is going to look great in that 75.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2013, 02:17:27 »
So, one day into qt with this guy and I had ammonia at .25 so I did a 25% water change and the ammonia dropped down but it looks like there"s still some traces so I added a couple pieces of live rock for the biocube because i know it's fully cured and ive never had issues with disease in there.

He looks like he is breathing heavier than normal and hasn't ate yet. He did look interested in the food which is more than he did yesterday. I dosed the melafix again and put some garlic and vitachem in the water. He found a place to hide and sleep in the PVC.

Here's a closer picture. Does this look like a sore to you guys?

Is there something I should be using other than melafix?
Should I use something like fritzyme or biospira?

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #69 on: July 01, 2013, 04:11:20 »
A lot of updates.. I took a bunch of pictures so here we go.

The last post I had gotten that trigger eating and everything then he got ich really bad the day before I hit hypo and he didnt recover. Next time I will make sure to get down to hypo as quick as possible.  :'(

Its been 3 weeks since then and I havent seen ich in 2 and a half weeks so yesterday i got another fish and acclimated him into hypo because I have another 4 weeks of fallow anyway. I decided to take the risk with the whole Ich magnet thing because I found the most beautiful hippo ive ever seen in a lfs. His color is amazing and he is fat and eating well. His stress level seems low.

I picked up a mandarin to put in the biocube for now. I've got pods galore in there. He's been in there a week now.

Here's a shot of the biocube. The small RBTA I have split and is growing like crazy. I have that monti in there because one of the rbta has its foot planted on the same rock.

Now for the big update. I got a set of the MS 120 leds. I'm running the blues at 100% and the whites at 50%. The lights are 12" off the surface of the water. I made A canopy for the tank this weekend. I left the front open but I may put door there. I just want easy access to the front. Here's a bunch of pictures of it to give you an idea on how I made it. If you want to make one feel free to ask questions.

Here's just a full tank shot. I've picked up some pieces of coral and some CUC and a brittle star. Thats what i've got in the last 3 or 4 weeks.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Good looking canopy. Let me know when you finish one for my 72 bow.  ;)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Everything is looking good. I qt everything. I am even going to start qt corals from now on. I am fighting to many problems from just plopping stuff in the dt. Just a thought. It saves a huge head ache in the end.

Offline Travis8896

« Reply #72 on: July 01, 2013, 12:21:22 »
Looking good keep it up

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #73 on: July 01, 2013, 20:48:41 »
Looks great
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
Everything is looking good. I qt everything. I am even going to start qt corals from now on. I am fighting to many problems from just plopping stuff in the dt. Just a thought. It saves a huge head ache in the end.

Even corals huh? I was planning on qt all fish and dipping corals. Do you really think qt corals is necessary?