2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 75 gallon reef build (this is my first "real" reef tank)  (Read 13429 times)

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
I just joined you guys yesterday so I figured I would share my project with you. The actual tank gets here this Thursday. It is an AGA predrilled tank. I can't wait!

Here's a picture of the skimmer and media reactor. The skimmer is a Coralife super skimmer rated for 125g. The Media reactor is a NextReef MR1. I figured it would be large enough to run both carbon and gfo if I need to. There isn't a whole lot of space under the stand. I was also thinking about running my UV sterilizer on the same circuit after the reactor. What do you guys think about this?

The sump is a 20L that I put glass baffles in. I'm circulating water with the skimmer pump for now until the tank gets here. The skimmer pump is rated at 500gph so that should be about the right flow for the tank if I'm not mistaken.

Here's some of the wiring. I'm using a Ranco temperature controller as a failsafe incase my heater decides to stick on. I picked up a hydor 2 pump wavemaker as well.

Ive got about 50lbs of base rock with a couple chucks of live rock curing in a storage tote. I figured I would pick up an additional 30ish pounds of live rock when I get the tank up.

Here's the other side of the sump with my bubble trap and a JBJ Auto top off. I have a small pump in a 5g bucket for top off water sitting outside the stand.

Here's a top view of the refuge part of the sump. Just a sand bed, some rock, and cheato. I'm using a 5000K PAR38 bulb from Lowes for the light.

I have my sand, x2 1500gph and one 850gph hydor koralia powerheads, and I decided that I would try one of the 48" Beamswork Quad Evo light fixture. A guy at a shop in town has several of them on his tanks and he said he's always had good results. For the price how could I go wrong? I also picked up a moonlight kit. I know I'm forgetting something but I think thats about it for now.

One question.. I was thinking about a magdrive pump for the return pump. Would you go with the 7 or the 9.5?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: 75 gallon reef build (this is my first "real" reef tank)
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 00:06:43 »
Looks great Welcome to Ohio Reef. Either the 7 or 9.5 should be fine

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 00:38:44 »
Yeah I have a mag 7 on my 75 with almost 5 feet head.  If I had a 9.5. I think it would make more water noise than I would like.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 02:24:10 »
A mag 7 it is then. Thanks for the feedback. I'll keep you guys posted as I get the rest of this together.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 02:08:26 »
Just a couple updates. I picked up the tank and a mag 7 return pump today and painted the back of the tank black. A lot of updates to come this weekend!

Heres a picture of me preparing to paint the tank. Dont worry. I covered the entire tank with cardboard and painters tape except the back.

I took another picture of the sump that I started cycling. I Havent tested the water. I just know the temp and salinity are right on. Its growing cheato like wildfire. It's more than doubled in a week and a half!

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 08:27:57 »
Welcome. Lots of FUN and great reading and advice here.  I had the same skimmer on my tank and your gonna hate having that out of your sump in the long run.  They leak and overflow at times and its gonna get all over your floor.  I would try to find a way to get it into your sump, have constant water height, or get it into a tall tub as its going to get wet.  have fun brother.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 08:36:40 »
I have the Coralife 125 super skimmer as well hanging outside the sump and have no issues with it leaking. The main issue is it being in a chamber that doesn't have a constant level in it. If you have an ATO this is a mute issue though.

I would take the skimmer and run it in hot water for a while to get all the production oils out of it. Mine took about a month to break in, quit producing micro bubbles, and make skim mate. I was about to give up on it and had many visions of me taking a hammer to it in the backyard.

Don't try contacting Coralife for support either as they don't support their own products. I myself will never buy another coralife product again.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 12:51:14 »
I have a constant water level in that chamber. My ato is on the other end of the sump. I could set the bottom of it in a container I suppose. I made the sump this way to leave more room for a fuge since its only a 20L tank. I thought it would work out better that way. I'll see what I can do with it. I'll make sure I clean it. I hope it doesn't just take that long to break in.

I have a lot of work to do today on this. Pictures later.  8)

Offline bbtm64

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 14:32:36 »
That's good to know about Coralife. I'll definitely keep that in mind the next time I'm considering new equipment.
Brent McCloskey

Offline matt78goins

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 21:50:06 »
Can't wait to see some more pics.  Looking good so far.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 04:21:53 »
After a very LONG day I've managed to get the majority of things set up! Here's the pictures.

The moonlights. got the powerheads sitting in there. x2 1400gph and one 750gph.

The actinics.

Actinics and 10k

I've managed to destroy the apartment but I have an aquarium lol

I attached the moonlights together. It's kinda ghetto but Itll work till I come up with a canopy. You wont see it anyways.

I got the bulkheads, overflow, and return assembled.

Here's the overflow side with return. Got the ball valve and union in there. I've got a pump running through the reactor then through the uv sterilizer. Ill show you how I return it on the other side.

I've got the return pump in there with the pipes plumbed. Union and ball valve. I still have the skimmer pump over here circulating water through that vinyl hose for the time being. I need to pick up some RO water tomorrow so I can get this thing going.

Heres a picture of the fuge. That pipe is where I'm returning the reactor/uv circuit. Tell me what you you think about this idea. It was kinda my own idea. I want some feedback.

Here's the birdsnest as I call it. Most of it is wires that are way too long or things that aren't plugged in yet. Do you think I should check with building maintenance to see what kind of breaker is on that outlet. I had this thought as I was looking at the 13 different things that need plugged in. I really dont think it will draw that much electricity. Everything is leds. What do you guys think?

I put the 8 gallons of water I had on hand in the tank with salt and added the sand. The tank looks nice and level. I like the fine sand but its sure going to take awhile to settle. I was shooting for a 4in. DSB and I ended up with 3.5" I'm thinking that would be good. Should I add another half inch?

What a long day. I'm exhausted but I can't sleep. I'm too excited!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 11:18:46 »
Looks great very nicely done.

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 14:26:10 »
Looks like you have it all coming together.  Looks great cant wait to see it stocked.  If I were you I would swap the position of your reactor and the skimmer as it looks like its going to be a PITA to reach back there and fiddle and remove the top chamber.  You will need to do this more than the reacor IMO.  Remember to mark your sump for a high and low limit so it does not overflow when you loose power.  Have fun!!!

Offline Ramathorn937

• Fry
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2013, 16:54:42 »
Looks awesome! Keep us updated

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2013, 22:00:28 »
Looking good!!
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2013, 01:53:18 »
Hey guys. Thanks for the compliments! I'm having a blast with this!

I went to Toledo with Bucknutz today and picked up some awesome live rock. It was exactly what I was looking for!

When I came home I mixed up my water, Filled the tank, and put all of my rock in. I havent aquascaped yet because of the cloudy water. Then I got all the water moving in the tank!

The skimmer has only been running for an hour and it's pulling all of the crap out of the water. There's a noticeable difference of clarity already! There's quite a few bubbles coming from the overflow but it's really quiet. The loudest thing is the pump but you can't hear it with the doors closed.

I put this bag over the top of the overflow section to keep the salt spray off of things. I need to cut a piece of acrylic for a splash guard.

It's been a very productive weekend. I can't wait to aquascape this!

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2013, 02:01:07 »
Looks like you have it all coming together.  Looks great cant wait to see it stocked.  If I were you I would swap the position of your reactor and the skimmer as it looks like its going to be a PITA to reach back there and fiddle and remove the top chamber.  You will need to do this more than the reacor IMO.  Remember to mark your sump for a high and low limit so it does not overflow when you loose power.  Have fun!!!

Yea.. I put the skimmer back there so I could position the pump to have the return pipe blasting right on it. I'm going to see how it goes. I may have to reconfigure some things.

I marked the sump for the max. I didn't do the minimum but thats a good idea. Thanks!

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2013, 02:09:46 »
Setting up a new tank is one of my favorite things. Its the time between getting it going and adding livestock that kills me. lol
Brent McCloskey

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2013, 03:25:50 »
I know what you mean. I feel like a kid in a candy shop at the store. I just want to take home one of everything! Hopefully this will be a fast cycle! :alas:

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2013, 04:37:28 »
The live rock will help a lot. Live sand would help too. I've been thinking about using some of the Nutri-Seawater to do a water change with then use the jugs to get premixed RO water
Brent McCloskey

Offline charlieweaver

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2013, 08:28:07 »
Yeah I used 75lbs of live rock and 80lbs of live sand and some Dr tims one and only and really I never got any ammo from start up of tank. I still. Give it two weeks to be sure then started adding live stock. 

Sent from my HTC6435LVW

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2013, 21:41:08 »
Yea. I've got 50lbs of dry rock, 35ish lbs of live rock, and 120 lbs of live sand. It should be quick. I have a bottle of stuff they sent me for free with my order. I'll look at what exactly it is when I get off work and let you know.

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2013, 21:52:39 »
I got to see this setup on Sunday, and have to say it was a very clean build. Sharp looking 75 and I can't wait to watch it grow.

Offline Phoenix7506

• Juvenile
« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2013, 04:09:21 »
Thanks man  :be happy:

So I have a bottle of caribsea aquabiotic laying around. Does anyone actually know what this stuff is? I've been trying to research it but I'm still at a loss for what it is and what it actually does.

Offline Myreef55

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2013, 13:40:33 »
When your ready for some frags i have some ide part with cheap.