2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Removing a rock anemone  (Read 2287 times)

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
Removing a rock anemone
« on: September 16, 2013, 16:45:33 »
Ever since the litter box ammonia spike, it hasn't looked good.  It appears to be bleaching.  I was thinking about moving it to a lower light and lower flow part of my tank.  Does anyone have any ideas on how to move it without tearing off its foot?  (Which happens to be in a hole in the rock)

I was going to try RO/DI ice cubes at its base to get it to move.  I was also thinking about getting pvc end caps that it could stick its foot in and I could easily move it in the future.  Would that be a good idea?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Removing a rock anemone
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2013, 16:51:39 »
Both are good ideas. I even read that someone used a chop stick or wood skewer to gentle agitate its foot. But really if it don't wanna let go, it's not gonna. Lol If possible you may have to move the hole rock.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2013, 21:06:35 »
If you can get to the base, then ice will work.   When I had one, it attached through a hole in the rock to the bottom of the tank.  I used a piece of PBC tubing about 12" long.....slipped the tube over the anenome when it was retracted.  Over the period of a week, it crawled up the tube to get to the light.....

Offline tbred

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 06:19:02 »
Well surprisingly all it took was a gentle power head to make it let go.  I just set it up over night and in the morning, it had let go.