2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Coral Feeding  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Bucknutz

• OH-IO
Coral Feeding
« on: December 06, 2013, 11:27:11 »
Do you feed your corals? If so what do you feed them? I normally try to hit the feeders with some LRS once a week or so.

I was thinking about trying some BRS Reef Chili to feed at night.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1799/

thoughts? suggestions?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Re: Coral Feeding
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 11:32:54 »
Do you feed your corals? If so what do you feed them? I normally try to hit the feeders with some LRS once a week or so.

I was thinking about trying some BRS Reef Chili to feed at night.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/catalog/product/view/id/1799/

thoughts? suggestions?

I used to feed them 3x a week. Now just every now and then. I just swirl a cyclopeez pop in the water for a second or two. The. Just let the powerheads take care of it from there.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 11:59:24 »
Most LPS will grow faster if you feed them, however they should get enough food from just feeding your fish.

Offline ReefFrenzy

• Fry
    • Reef Frenzy Foods
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 13:56:55 »
Most LPS will grow faster if you feed them, however they should get enough food from just feeding your fish.

Wall Tank is correct, most corals use the symbiotic relationship of zooxanthella to process glucose and other nutrients. However you can get pretty crazy growth from certain LPS by spot feeding meaty foods 1-2x a week. With that being said you must use caution to not over feed the coral more food than it can digest and expel, and secondly you need to make sure these excess nutrients you are adding to the system get EXPORTED in some manner, i.e. water changes, GFO, Macro Algae, etc.

I find feeding my LPS to be enjoyable because I like watching Duncans, Acans and brains opening up like this:

I am particularly fond of Acans and feed this colony regularly:

Probably my biggest surprise about how feeding can make a coral "pop" was when Coralgasm showed up with all these Acans at Macna this year fed a steady diet of LRS. They were amazing to say the least and the heads were huge!

I brought some home with me..  ;)

Thanks for the support Bucknutz

Larry

Owner, LRS Foods, LLC
www.ReefFrenzy.com

Offline Marine_freak

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 16:09:35 »
I take spirulina enriched brine in the frozen cubes... Thaw it. And add 2 scoops. Of reef chili too it. Then I take a couple drops of selcon and mix it all together... Let it thicken some thru evaporation and feed it to my fish 2-3x daily.... Feeds my fish and corals... Works great!
A Indonesian fisherman once stated if we blow up the coral reef we have no future...... But if we do not we no way to feed my family now...... How sad the circumstances are today that ruin the opportunity of the future!

johnnymu

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 15:37:32 »
I feed my LPS with Fauna Marin Ultra LPS pellets, Fauna Marin Ultra Ricordea Zoanthus Food, Reef Roids, coral smoothies, reef chili, coral frenzy and reef snow
Sps I feed oyster feast and mainly Reef Roids.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2013, 18:53:08 by johnnymu »