2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Led light bulbs?  (Read 1924 times)

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
Led light bulbs?
« on: March 30, 2014, 09:08:27 »
LEDs the new cfl's. Anyone try any of the new led light bulbs? I could save a fortune just putting them in my kids rooms. They have been coming down in price since I first noticed them some time back. I have seen them at the hardware stores for $9.99. Such as these. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I134ORI/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?qid=1396184590&sr=1-3&pi=SY200_QL40 was just wondering if they really put out the light? The way they are set up.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Led light bulbs?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2014, 09:41:38 »
I have two of the CREE bulbs.   One is a standard 60w equiv bulb, and the other is a 75w dimmable bulb for recessed can lighting.

The cree bulbs have good color, and have a pretty good light diffuser ......  I would say they are a little brighter than the equivalent CFL bulb, and the are instant on.    But what remains to be seen is will they last as long as they "claim" to.   The Cree bulbs come with a 10 year warranty(If you can manage to keep track of your receipt for 10 years)   I've had a lot of CFL bulbs last less than a year.

The dimming is pretty good, but just like we see in our aquarium fixtures, you cannot dim as low as you could with an incandescent.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 22:03:00 »
I also stumbled across these. http://affordablehomeled.com/switch_leds.html
I know that the cfl's I use don't last as long as they say. I also remember when the cfl's where $10 a bulb. If leds really last as long as they say they wont be able to drop the price as they did with cfl's.

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 07:57:41 »
I know this is a really old thread. But I just bought 6 LED flood light style bulbs for can lighting at Costco. They are on sale for $10 for 2 of them right now. Very happy with brightness and the "instant on". We'll see if they last. Did you ever get any?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 08:17:30 »
No, I never did. But they have come down in price. I should get a couple and try them. I'm trying to get through my cfls. But next time I see them I'm going to get one or two. 2 for $10 is a good deal.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:38:48 »
Two for $10 is a great deal for leds.. Do you know what wattage and kelvin they are? The CFL's work great for lasting longer than incandescent however they seemed to loose intensity quickly. glad LEDs are coming down in price I've been slowly replacing the bulbs in my house with them

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 12:58:19 »
They are 65w equivalent, I think they are 11 watts. They are 2700k so they are fairly warm, my wife does not care for the cooler white color. Am I the only one who looks at color temp first? I guess that proves my aquarium geek stature. :laugh:

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2014, 13:05:24 »
Thanks sounds like a good refuguim solution