2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chalice help  (Read 1799 times)

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
Chalice help
« on: April 07, 2014, 19:17:14 »
So I won this at the swap

I can't seem to find a "happy" place for it in my tank.  This is my first chalice so I'm no pro.  From what I read a lot of chalices prefer low light?  It's in the bottom of my tank in what I consider a low light area but it just doesn't seem to be coloring up.  I'm not seeing any tentacles coming out at night either.  Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Mussin

• Adult
Re: Chalice help
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 19:54:20 »
I think it would do better in my tank,lol.  Nice piece

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 20:06:47 »
I think it would do better in my tank,lol.  Nice piece

Lol thanx.  I'd be happy to frag it if I get it going good

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2014, 23:07:25 »
From my experience that piece doesn't look to be 100% healthy.  The top portion of it looks good, but the rest of it where the base color looks splotchy, that's not a good thing.  Keep it in low light with low to med flow and it should come around.  I've had some that showed super long tentacles, other never showed, all depends on the species. 

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2014, 23:10:09 »
From my experience that piece doesn't look to be 100% healthy.  The top portion of it looks good, but the rest of it where the base color looks splotchy, that's not a good thing.  Keep it in low light with low to med flow and it should come around.  I've had some that showed super long tentacles, other never showed, all depends on the species.

cool thanx.   it currently looks a little worse then that picture, but that's how I got it.  I can't really say that it has gotten worse in my tank, but has not shown improvement

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2014, 23:20:42 »
give it time to settle in.  As long as it's not bleaching or you see tissue recession it should be ok.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2014, 09:51:13 »
That chalice has been under too much light. I agree with Neo. I would put it in a corner of the tank where there is low light and let it heal.
Chromiumlux

johnnymu

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2014, 10:40:59 »
if you have a sump that has no light I would put it there and forget about it. A lot of these chalices comes from area that has hardly any light or any at all. When you get wild pieces it takes awhile for them to adjust to our environment.

Offline JayMc

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2014, 10:56:10 »
if you have a sump that has no light I would put it there and forget about it. A lot of these chalices comes from area that has hardly any light or any at all. When you get wild pieces it takes awhile for them to adjust to our environment.

Sump is out in the open and gets ambient light from the room or if the sun happens to hit it thought basement window...but it would be less then under the LEDs I'm sure