2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Skimz Monster SM203 DC Protein Skimmer  (Read 4412 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Skimz Monster SM203 DC Protein Skimmer
« on: January 20, 2016, 21:54:03 »
Just wanted to throw this out there in case anyone has considered buying one, or might have some knowledge to help.
I have been running one of these on my 180 since last April. Aware of the fact that new skimmers have a quote break in period I was prepared for some overflows and adjustments. 9 months later I am still battling overflows (though not as much), underflows and generally finicky operation in general. It seems that anything can and will cause this skimmer to either increase foam production or seriously decrease foam production. Feed, change filter socks, put hands in the tank and for sure water changes. Sometimes simply turning it off and then back on seems to do it and sometimes it seems to do it without changing or doing anything at all. When I do get it to stay dialed in for a few days this thing skims like a beast, I mean it really pulls some funk out of the water, but I just cannot seem to keep it in one place, I am constantly adjusting the flow, very aggravating. Anyone else have any experience with these skimmers. I have talked to Jeremy from Aquarium Artisans but nothing we have tried seems to work. Also spoke to BRS a while back and very out of character for them, the rep talked to me like I was a moron, very condescending. Told me everything would get better after break in period and it surely hasn't. I am going to call them again tomorrow. very frustrated with what could be an awesome piece of equipment. It seems sometimes as if the pump is speeding up or slowing down without me changing the speed. Any experience or knowledge appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 02:44:22 by Steve »

Offline Gary

• Adult
Re: Skimz Monster DC203 Protein Skimmer
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 23:13:30 »
Steve,
It does have a DC (direct current) motor and speed control. You maybe correct and the pump could be changing speed not commanded by you. I assume they have feedback from the pump to the speed control to provide constant speed, but electronic things do fail. Brushless motors work because electronics generate the waveform to rotate the motor.
Don't take any crap off the rep! grrr
Gary

Offline Kenn

Re: Skimz Monster DC203 Protein Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 23:44:55 »
Just looked up the specs on your skimmer.

Wow. That thing is a beast
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: Skimz Monster SM203 DC Protein Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2016, 15:11:01 »
Well, I spoke to Carter at BRS today and we discussed the problems that I have been having withe the skimmer. He seemed to believe as I have wondered for a while, that I probably am experiencing speed fluctuations with my pump and agreed to send me a new pump. I certainly hope this resolves the issues because otherwise this is an awesome skimmer. We will see. Obviously much better customer service this time, more on par with what I have experienced with BRS in the past.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2016, 15:38:48 »
Steve,
That is good new! I think that should fix it. (I'll bet they have seen the problem before!) The Monzter spec are impressive and the power required is minimal.
Gary

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 00:04:48 »
Here's my take on it.  Their pumps are junk, and I haven't even ran mine yet.   So I'm trying to mod one of their pumps into my big Geo Recirculating skimmer, and the pump design is identical to the very first Reef Octopus DC skimmer pumps. Those 1st gen pumps failed miserably and forced the company to redesign and bring out the pump they are using now, which by the way rocks.  That being said, I'm going to push ahead with the Skimz pump and try it, but if I were a betting man, that's where I would point the finger.   Who knows, I may have a spare pump for sale soon for ya....... :-P

I'm thinking I should have just dropped the $300 and got the Reef Ocotpus pump.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 20:35:14 »
New pump being shipped to my house, we'll see what happens. I hope it resolves my issues.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 21:28:01 »
So I have the new pump installed and for now it seems fine. I will be monitoring for any fluctuations like I was experiencing with old pump.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2016, 23:46:27 »
Seems like the new pump and controller are more stable than the old one. I do believe I was having current fluctuations with the old pump.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 01:22:49 »
Here's my take on it.  Their pumps are junk,

Well after having the 2nd pump for less than 4 months I would have to agree. I came home from work tonight to find my skimmer not working at all. Power strip on, controller on, pump dead. Totally. Not real pleased with the Skimz DC pumps at all. Will be contacting BRS tomorrow. My original warranty is expired, I hope they make this right.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2016, 09:40:10 »
Steve,
Sorry to hear that! Do you have a backup skimmer that works? New technology is great when it is working, but the improvement to reliability or repair-ability may be questionable in many cases.
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2016, 19:21:30 »
Spoke with BRS today, it is scary when you make the comment "these pumps are junk" and the service rep agrees with you! The good news is they are sending me a new one, no questions asked. Hopefully I will get a good one.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2016, 20:07:17 »
I almost bought this skimmer, ended up going external with a MTC HSA-1000 powered by the old stand by Iwaki MD-55RLT which burns a little more juice but works great. I'm glad BRS made it right for you, it has to be very frustrating to deal with.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2016, 20:52:14 »
I'm glad BRS made it right for you, it has to be very frustrating to deal with.

It certainly has been. It took them a while the first time, but the last two calls got an immediate response. I was told by the rep (Chad) that they are having issues with a couple of the Skimz pumps. To the point they have considered dropping certain models. The part that concerns me is if the pump manufacturer (which I believe is Jebao) hasn't made any upgrades then the probability for failure is great with the new pump. BRS said my warranty is based on the purchase date of the skimmer, but if I had any issues they would take care of me. Hopefully I will get a good replacement pump.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2016, 15:24:50 »
Steve,
Wow. That is great service but of little help if the failure repeats in a month.  You can make a lamp out of the arylic! How long do think the new new one will last? I might be a little bit pessimistic. Is there an alternative pump that may work or possibly adapt a reliable pump to it?
Good luck!
Gary

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2016, 15:54:22 »
I am sure something could be modified to work. If it fails again I will not be pleased. Do they have a Lemon law for DC skimmer pumps? I have thought about contacting Skimz directly, not even sure if I can do that since BRS is their official distributor in the US. Even thought about asking them to send me a AC pump and switching to that.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 22:16:30 »
Long story short, the controllers have been the issue with the fluctuation on this skimmer. Several pumps and 4 controllers later I received a great blessing from BRS. They have refunded all of my original purchase money or 49,999 BRS bonus points. Worthy of another post by itself, thank you BRS for great customer support.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 16:56:08 »
That is great to hear Steve.

BRS has always been fantastic to deal with.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >