2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 180 Reef in wall room build  (Read 4091 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
180 Reef in wall room build
« on: February 03, 2016, 11:30:38 »
Decided to up my reef game a bit. I found a 180 gallon tank on craigslist about a month ago, so when i pulled the trigger on it I decided to build this into a room. The room is going to be my man cave, as my 1 year old has taken over our living room with toys and noise! This build is going to be slow and I am going to as a lot of questions about best practices.

On to the tank - it is a 180 dual corner overflow drilled on the bottom, looks like 3/4" and 1" holes. The guy I got the tank from decided to cut the plastic supports off when he was running it, so I searched and searched for a new one, but nothing that size was found. I talked to a Artisans and they suggested i get a new tank, then i talked to Lazy and he searched for a new top for me, but nothing in that size is made. With that news i was not about to buy another tank, so I made a new top with pine 1x3's and stainless wood screws.

here is the top completed and glass cleaned

on to the stand, the stand is a custom stand the guy who had the tank built, it is pretty solid in construction and wont be seen when it is all said and done, so i took the doors off of it and that game me another inch or so to get the tank closer to the wall i am building.

Ok so the wall was started 2/2/16 in my basement, this is an area I usually use for working out and sorting out my car parts from a car I am restoring. I felt this would be the best area to have an in wall tank, the benefits of it are a floor drain, access to the backside of the tank, and it is under the steps so hanging lights will be pretty easy.

leveling everything, the tank has a slight lean to the back of it, it is not much maybe a 1/4 inch but i figure this will help the over flows a bit... maybe.

ok so next is the back of the tank where i will access the sump/fuge/skimmer and what not. there is probably 4-5 ft between the furnace and tank, so getting things in and out wont be an issue.

I picked up this sump last night, it is a Proflex 4 sump, it has 3 filter socks, a fuge area and area for the skimmer (came with a big coralife cone skimmer), my question here is. Id like to add a separate fuge next to the sump, what is the best way to pump water in and out of these two, should my return pump be in the sump or fuge?

and fuge

Ok on to the lights i got with the tank, I got 2 6ft lights with the deal, 1 is a t5/halide/led, and the other is a Compact Florescent. I honestly dont plan to run either of these lights as i like LEDs since they are so easy to use and cheap to maintain. If and only if i were to run the halide/t5 what other equipment will be required (a chiller?)

Rock i plan on getting is some dry rock that i can seed with bacteria myself, i have purchased really expensive rock before and was not impressed, i have also purchased used rock before and that was ok, but still not 100% impressed. I currently have a 55g tank that is up and running but has majano's in it so wont be using much of that rock to get this tank cycled.

Sand suggestions?

Offline AJ

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
  • A.J.
Re: 180 Reef in wall room build
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 12:06:28 »
http://premiumaquatics.com/products/tropic-eden-mesoflakes-30lb-aragonite-crumbs-27mm.html

They have other particle sizes as well, choose the particle size based on your expected flow, higher flow, bigger particle size, so you don't have a sandstorm.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 16:30:19 »
Good idea on the top. That should work well. Keep us posted with your progress.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 17:25:01 »
Great thread :)

I picked up my dry rock and rubble ( I like rock piles in the tank for the pods safe zones ) from Bulk reef supply.

Very happy with what I got.

With your tank being in the basement a chiller may not be necessary, unless you want one just to keep temps consistent. I dont have one, however I live in a home with reliable HV/AC and a whole house gen.

EDIT: just noticed the 3 MH. you may NEED a chiller lol
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2016, 18:09:39 »
Great thread :)

I picked up my dry rock and rubble ( I like rock piles in the tank for the pods safe zones ) from Bulk reef supply.

Very happy with what I got.

With your tank being in the basement a chiller may not be necessary, unless you want one just to keep temps consistent. I dont have one, however I live in a home with reliable HV/AC and a whole house gen.

EDIT: just noticed the 3 MH. you may NEED a chiller lol

most likely i will go led and sell that light, as i already have 3 leds but might get the sbreef ones for the programability.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2016, 18:33:30 »
I run 100% leds over my 180 which is in the basement and during the summer my heater will actually come on to keep the temps up.  I have my sump sitting on the floor with just a thin insulation board so it probably acts as a chiller from the floor temperature. I agree with a6walter on your sand choice.  I would go with alittle larger sand or crushed coral to keep from getting blown around in case you ever go with a high flow tank.
jeff

Offline Kenn

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2016, 21:28:42 »
I mix my substrate 2 parts larger grain to 1 part small grain because I keep gobys that like to sift the sand
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2016, 21:55:41 »
I mix my substrate 2 parts larger grain to 1 part small grain because I keep gobys that like to sift the sand

hey thanks for the reply, I think i will do about the same. 2.5-3 inches deep enough for a SPS heavy tank? my other tanks have been well over 4 inches deep.

does anyone have any comment on how to connect a separate fuge to that sump shown, what would be easy with low flow in the fuge?

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2016, 22:16:36 »
What size return pump are you planning on using? I got a big enough pump that a made a manifold with gate valves ran off of it. So the one pump handles the return, gfo and carbon reactors. It was very easy to do. Then a small return pump back into the skimmer section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 16:36:06 »
What size return pump are you planning on using? I got a big enough pump that a made a manifold with gate valves ran off of it. So the one pump handles the return, gfo and carbon reactors. It was very easy to do. Then a small return pump back into the skimmer section.

i have a mag 18 and also a 1/4hp sump pump i could use, not sure if the 18 will flow enough thought thoughts?

Offline jonnyreef

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 18:17:37 »
I have a mag 24 but it needs a new impeller

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2016, 20:32:21 »
I doubt that it would be enough with the head loss and all. Are you set on using the mag18? Ive switched to a dc pump and am absolutly in love with it. Quiet and powerful. I dont have to run it full blast and it still hanldes all of my needs. I am using a dct 6000 on my 90. Id look at the dct 8000 or dct 12000 if your thinking of a new pump.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2016, 20:39:03 »
I doubt that it would be enough with the head loss and all. Are you set on using the mag18? Ive switched to a dc pump and am absolutly in love with it. Quiet and powerful. I dont have to run it full blast and it still hanldes all of my needs. I am using a dct 6000 on my 90. Id look at the dct 8000 or dct 12000 if your thinking of a new pump.

not set on the 18 just came with the tank and everything, thanks for the info. does 2 3/4 returns and 2 1" overflows seem large enough for this tank?

Offline chevydoc

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2016, 20:44:04 »
I would think so. I have no issues. On this tank i decided to get more flow using powerheads vs using a huge return pump. I bet i only turn 900 gph through the return. What are your plans livestock wise?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2016, 09:27:23 »
I would think so. I have no issues. On this tank i decided to get more flow using powerheads vs using a huge return pump. I bet i only turn 900 gph through the return. What are your plans livestock wise?

honestly had not got that far yet on a detailed list, but will be tangs, wrasses, and some gobies. would love some suggestions on livestock, this is my 3rd reef tank but by far my largest.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2016, 19:48:33 »
been really busy lately with work, but ordered 120 lbs of Reef Saver from BRS, it should be here wed (of course ill be out of town then). I will aquascape and start my cycle, need to work on plumbing too, but want to get a cycle started first.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2016, 20:34:31 »
sump was plumbed today, been traveling like crazy for work and started a cycle about 2.5 weeks ago things are progressing really good for my needs currently.

here is my rockscape me and a friend put together.