2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Moon light on or off ?  (Read 3138 times)

xdemoncaff3in3x

Moon light on or off ?
« on: September 16, 2007, 21:52:03 »
just trying to gather info on the use for the moon light ...I know its to SIM the real lighting - don't plants need dark too as i guess saae with coral,,,or cause more algae trouble for whom has it/....Thanks for taking thw time to read.   and yes iam aware of mis-spelled words...ThE ways I liKe iT.. ;D
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 21:54:32 by xdemoncaff3in3x »

Offline verper

Re: Moon light on or off ?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2007, 21:55:19 »
I did see a presentation a few months back that showed coral spawn at certain times based on the moon or lack there of.  Something like the second night after a new moon.

xdemoncaff3in3x

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2007, 22:30:32 »
so i should cycle the moon light.?

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2007, 22:35:44 »
Mine run every night. There is a controller out there that is supposed to simulate the actual cycles of the moon.

Mine are more for my viewing pleasure than for any benefit to the inhabitants.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2007, 22:46:03 »
My thoughts are the closer you can simulate nature the better your inhabitants will be.

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 06:33:50 »
pointless unless you actually cycle it like a moon cycle, brighter at one point int he month getting less to nothing then building again.  otherwise there is no point and your corals wont spawn based on a cycle because you will not have created a cycle, only a moon

Offline verper

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 16:46:58 »
pointless unless you actually cycle it like a moon cycle, brighter at one point int he month getting less to nothing then building again.  otherwise there is no point and your corals wont spawn based on a cycle because you will not have created a cycle, only a moon

Exactly.

Offline scott wilson

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 16:56:50 »
There is a benefit for your fish with moonlights.  It creates a night time that is more like the ocean even if you do not have it simulate the fazes of the moon.  This allows the fish to see better at night and be less stressed.  Which is especially beneficial if your fish room has no or little ambient light at night.