2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: paint or not to paint  (Read 3083 times)

xdemoncaff3in3x

paint or not to paint
« on: September 19, 2007, 00:17:41 »
paint or not to paint   wanting to do away with the black background sheet--- want to paint it black ;D      spray or brush for better finish-----gloss or flat? iam sure someone here knows. :)
Code: [Select]
<a href="http://" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://</a>

MechanicalEngineer

Re: paint or not to paint
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 00:22:03 »
I was going to paint, but figured I'd put up a black trash bag taped taunt across the back.  I'm glad I did b/c I can't tell you how many times I've removed it to hunt for that one coral that floated to the back...or my missing fish. 

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 00:33:36 »
I sprayed the back of my 240,

xdemoncaff3in3x

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 00:38:32 »
so you didnt see any light spots or darker spots....iam skilled spray painter  ....just wanted to know from folk whom have done it ....i figured that spary would work better since it willnt chip or scratch as easy as brushing it...

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 01:38:19 »
Whith brushing it you might see lines in the paint from the brush. I taped mine off and sprayed away.

Offline Emily

• Scavenger Queen
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 06:25:25 »
I considered painting, but then I thought about how I ultimately would prefer coraline covering the back, so I decided not to waist my time and just be patient.  Just my personal preference.  I am not saying painting is a waste of time or anything, I just didn't want to spend my time doing it. 
Emily

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 15:58:25 »
I use acrylic enamel from a rattle can. The two brands that I have found to be the best at coverage and durability are rustoleum and surprisingly Ace Hardware's "in house" brand. It takes about 2 to 3 medium coats to get good coverage. Pre-cleaning real well before painting is very important and it is important to remove any excess silicone from around the edges. It is common for the paint to want to fish eye where there is, or has been silicone, I just do multiple dry coats in these areas so the paint can't separate. I would suggest using a gloss paint because it doesn't seem to want to absorb salt and salt creep as much as the flat finishes do. All my tanks at the shop are painted, they have held up pretty well.

Joel

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2007, 00:36:18 »
I considered painting, but then I thought about how I ultimately would prefer coraline covering the back, so I decided not to waist my time and just be patient.  Just my personal preference.  I am not saying painting is a waste of time or anything, I just didn't want to spend my time doing it. 
I was worried about not being able to see the coraline but with the black background i think it stands out better. thank a clear back ground