2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: GOOGLE MAP  (Read 2050 times)

Offline larrynews

GOOGLE MAP
« on: June 23, 2008, 22:14:02 »
i was playing around look at house in the area for sale and google maps now has local street level shots, my van was in the driveway...creepy

Offline verper

Re: GOOGLE MAP
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 22:19:32 »
oh yea. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 23:06:44 »
Yeah, last I checked, they updated the shots every 3 years.  I found my Mustang parked in my old condo...back when it was still metallic blue.  LOL.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 08:31:53 »
Google Earth updates it's shots every few months or so.

I was surprised to see that on Google Earth that wright Pat was not blocked out, pretty much a full view of the entire base.

Lost Floridian

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 22:19:24 »
Google Earth updates it's shots every few months or so.

I was surprised to see that on Google Earth that wright Pat was not blocked out, pretty much a full view of the entire base.

Ya, but we keep the aliens in the basement    -Duh!

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 08:15:00 »
some military bases are blocked out....wright pat must not be deemed that secret

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 09:13:56 »
my dad worked for wright pat he said last time they updated the maps they had to request the base be blurred on the maps. He is retired now but said they are probably going to have to request to be blurred again
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 16:19:53 »
if you google search military bases and google maps..you can find many stories related to this topic including one where google was let on site to bases to map but then wanted those maps blurred.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 16:42:40 »
Ooooh this thread is getting funny (at least to two people that work there).

Yeah, WPAFB isn't blocked out...but it hasn't been updated within the last century (ok, slight exaggeration.)  Even so, most of WPAFB is just labs...not outdoor testing...and most roofs don't have windows.   ;D  There are plenty of road maps of W.P. available...same thing.  They just don't tell you what you don't see. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008, 17:30:55 »
I'm not familiar with Google Map, is it basically the same as google earth?

The pics on Google earth of WPAFB seem to be fairly recent. I was checking out stunn in Tampa and saw that Mac Dill AFB is blocked out.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2008, 17:37:03 »
Yes, Google Map is very similar to Google Earth. 

As for everything else...   ;)

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2008, 20:43:13 »
Im lost who works out at the base?

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2008, 20:44:37 »
Will (Lost Floridian) and I both do.

Bigmoo

« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2008, 22:55:35 »
I believe that the gov't made it mandatory for google to remove all its bases from google earth some months back, and yes while the facility has no skylights other than a few places, it is still very much a top secret facility (one of the highest). I did see a small bugged eyed man waving in one of the pics out by the hangars and bunkers, very odd looking chap. I did find it very odd that WPAFB has a VERY long runway approx 3 miles ( the longest in world is at groom lake at 5 miles) not sure how much space is needed for the new planes but wow, sure is long, I will have to ask father-in-law about it, he is a project manager (one of the "I can tell ya but have to kill ya" sorts). The best is the photos of groom lake and surrounding areas, you can see all the craters from the nuke tests, the railway that just ends into nothing (and starts from much of the same) and so much more, almost like watching yer tank, hours of entertainment. I'm sure that we are all bugged now for looking at the sites lol.... SHHHHHH....
« Last Edit: July 20, 2008, 22:57:55 by Bigmoo »

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2008, 23:18:39 »
Great!! Now you've got our site listed on a government watch list!!!!  LOL!!!

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2008, 00:56:34 »
Will (Lost Floridian) and I both do.

My father does as well.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2008, 02:25:30 »
area 51 isnt blocked, though it isnt very clear. also do a search on google for the name of this huge airplane junkyard in the middle of nowhere out west, its awesome to look at all the old planes on google earth.

Lost Floridian

« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2008, 07:17:00 »
Davis Monthan AFB  or "The Boneyard"

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2008, 16:21:14 »
One of the cool things that Google is doing is paying private pilots to do overflies of areas to suppliment the imagery that they get from the unclass imaging satellites.  Take a look at St. Louis or Chicago or other areas.

BTW one of the newest Unclassified Imaging satellite that went up can image down to 41 cm.

From Geoeye1 press release on SGI's site....

At the Dulles, VA, ground station for the new GeoEye-1 satellite, four SGI® Altix® systems were delivered during the first calendar quarter that will drive core satellite image processing for the .41-meter panchromatic (sensitive to all visible colors) and 1.65-meter multi-spectral (sensing and recording radiation from invisible as well as visible parts of the electromagnetic spectrum) imagery.

http://www.geoeye.com/CorpSite/

Cool stuff....

I'm another that works at WPAFB.... Does anyone know of any groups of reefers that meet out here?  I'm in area A....

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2008, 16:56:56 »
man im doing mechanical eng at UD someone needs to get me a co op out there any help lol

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2008, 17:53:18 »
Hey Justin...Send me your resume'.  If you want a sweet gig...I'll see what I can do.   ;)

Todd, I'm not aware of any, but I'm still pretty new.  I'm in Area A as well.  Lost Floridian is in Area B.  I've seen a lot of people with saltwater tanks in their offices...so I'm sure they're out there!

Bigmoo

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2008, 18:09:26 »
Will they be able to see what is causing such high gas prices with those new toys? If not, they way my eye sight seems to be I'm sure my new spectacles will.

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2008, 19:43:30 »
ok I will I need to make sure its updated thanks

Offline Todd W.

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2008, 09:37:25 »
I've seen a lot of people with saltwater tanks in their offices...so I'm sure they're out there!

None here in my building, I'd love to get a 6 gallon NANO going.  I sent you a PM inquring to your location and I provided mine....

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2008, 19:39:17 »
Actually, I'm about to order a 6g reef tank for the office!   ;D  We'll have to start a new trend.  I'll email you about it so we don't hijack this thread.  Hehe.