2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Graduation money (trying to figure out what pump to buy)  (Read 997 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Graduation money (trying to figure out what pump to buy)
« on: September 28, 2008, 13:00:36 »
got alittle bit of graduation money.  So I am looking to buy an external pump for my sump. 

I like the idea of the snapper for my tank.

however it was mentioned something that the sump would have to have a 2" hold drilled to feed the pump and the return on the snapper is 1.5"

my tank returns are ony 3/4"  and my inlets from the main tank to the sump are 1" (I can get a 2" drilled for the inlet from the sump to the pump)

so is it possible to still use the snapper and reduce the line back to the main tank 1.5" down to 3/4" or is this not a good idea?

If not was is a good pump for the return lines that I have on my tank

Offline JoeAyers

Re: Graduation money (trying to figure out what pump to buy)
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2008, 13:15:25 »
Yes it will be fine. No different than putting on a valve and shutting it down some to slow the flow.  You will actually use less watts.

Joe

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2008, 15:53:08 »
my next question is the snapper to big of a pump??  with the tank having two 1" drains how much of a return pump can you put on the tank (again it has 3/4" returns on it)  so that the tank will not overflow?  or do you just dial back the pump

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2008, 16:11:50 »
you need to figure out you head loss. there is a calculator on reef central that will let you type in how many elbows you have and all that stuff and you can figure out what the out put of the pump will be.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2008, 16:19:27 »
crap   :o 

I dont even have the sump yet.  I had one (baggerhog's)  it got cracked.  I got one at NDR and it busted during drilling.

So basically I have no idea how long the plumbing will be or how many elbows will be in it yet.  just wanted to get the pump, then the sump (its either going to be a 125 gallon tank or a 75 gallon tank)  then work the plumbing from there.

quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2008, 08:30:27 »
buy badgerhogs pump he is selling for 175 to members that thing will push some water.