2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: magnets  (Read 4510 times)

Offline larrynews

magnets
« on: April 06, 2009, 15:53:56 »
started this because i didnt want to hijack the other
could i just cover the magnets in silicon and then glue the frag plug to the silicon covered magnet???

Reefd Up

Re: magnets
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 19:25:17 »
Silicone doesn't stick well to magnets.  It's easy to pull/rip off...and the slightest tear would allow saltwater to touch the magnets...and corrode the magnets.  The neodymium-iron-boron magnets are EXTREMELY sensitive to saltwater.  You may be able to make several coats of silicone...and keep it from ripping as easily...but I'm not sure it's worth the effort (I've tried...I failed.)  I think I found some better methods...we'll see though.  I haven't had time to perform the final assembly on mine.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 19:40:33 »
cool thanks

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 19:45:04 »
What about sealing them in a silicon "bag" or some kind of heat shrink pouch?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 21:04:35 »
I would try the stuff you can dip things in and makes a durable rubber coating like plier handles. 
heres a link to the stuff I'm pretty sure home depot or lowes carries some form of it I think it would be better than silicone.
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions/Plasti_Dip

Reefd Up

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 21:37:01 »
Tried that too.  It still comes off easily.  It would probably work for a while, but I wouldn't trust long-term use with it.  The plasti-dip stuff was cool, but it was really hard to get a thin coating, even with thinning it down on such a small magnet. 

I'm still experimenting.  I'll let you know what works soon.  :)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 22:00:35 »
what about a dot of superglue to attach thin fishing line to the magnet.  Then dip it in the plastic. after it drys trim the string and redip that half to seal the string.???

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 22:11:21 »
why not just buy coated magnets to start with and save time.

Reefd Up

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 06:41:23 »
what about a dot of superglue to attach thin fishing line to the magnet.  Then dip it in the plastic. after it drys trim the string and redip that half to seal the string.???

I've done something similar.  The problem is that the Plasti-dip is just so thick (even after being thinned) that it just kinda globs up on the magnet.  For a really big magnet, it would probably work fine.  You have to dip several times anyway to cover the edges b/c the dip doesn't stick well there.  So, you end up with a very weak covered magnet.

why not just buy coated magnets to start with and save time.

A lot of people do, but you can't get coated magnets in every power. 

Please don't take my critques to be discouraging.  If you guys want to try it, feel free...just thought I would share what did/didn't work for me. 

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 07:41:50 »
didnt someone do powder coating on here?  High high was the req temp and would that hurt the magnets?

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 06:56:55 »
Could you coat the mags in super glue gel, let one side harden then do the other side?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Reefd Up

« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2009, 21:06:33 »
Oh, these magnets will lose their magnetic properties above 175 degrees F...not sure what powder coating needs for temp.

slandis3

« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2009, 21:26:06 »
powder coating needs 450deg 5-10 min then 400deg for 15-20 min

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2009, 16:12:38 »
Would a paint on epoxy work...like the stuff they use on the inside of plywood tanks?

slandis3

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2009, 16:23:00 »
Would a paint on epoxy work...like the stuff they use on the inside of plywood tanks?

As long as the epoxy dosnt get chipped it should work.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2009, 23:48:40 »
If the magnets are large enough, scuff them up with some 60 or 80 grit sandpaper... that will make the silicon adhere much better