2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WTB a Camera  (Read 10466 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
WTB a Camera
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:03:09 »
Looking to replace my point and shoot camera with something that takes nice macro shots and for family photos. Was thinking of going with a Nikon D40 or D50 and standard lens and later purchase a macro lens. Does anyone have a recommendation of affordable online vendor that they have had good experience with?

slandis3

Re: WTB a Camera
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:04 »
My mom has the nikon d40. She has used nikon for as long as i can remember. She has said this is her last nikon. This camera has been alot of trouble. The flash hangs all the time which it then wont let you take the pic. The lens mount is getting lose.She has sent it out for repain 3 time for different things. I think she os going to get a canon like mine. I have the rebel xti and i love it. I got mine through dell because of the company discount i get. A friend of mine got his off ebay and had great luck with it. The company he got it from forgot to send the extra battery with it so they sent him 2 to make up for it.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:33 »
Maybe becuase the d40 and d50 are their lower end products? But still no excuse for that on a camera of that price. My inlaws have a d70 and d90. I love both and they hold up really well. Are far are canon bs nikon. Usualy it's just prefernce, then once you amass a lens collection you are locked into that brand.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:38:16 »
Have you used the Nikon D-SLR's? I think the Canon's are easier to use, and the kit lense is better.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:47:24 »
The best thing to do is just go shopping. The canons are smaller in size which make it hard for some people to use and hold.but, I think my canon menu is easier to navigate through compared to the nikon

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:57:07 »
The cannon Rebel XTI looks like a really nice camera but a bit out of my price range, unless I go refurbished (not opposed to that). My wife is only allowing me to spend 600$ with tax and shipping.  :laugh:

slandis3

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:21 »
Looks like he only has the XSI $1000+ and EOS for 775$ for sale right now.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:49 »
B&H Video has the XSi for $640, free shipping. If it helps, all the photos I have posted were taken with this camera, and the kit lense.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:21 »

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:00:45 »
The link I provided should have sent u to a xti he has for sell

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:34 »
The link I provided should have sent u to a xti he has for sell

That was just for the lens  :crybaby

B&H Video has the XSi for $640, free shipping. If it helps, all the photos I have posted were taken with this camera, and the kit lense.

That is the best price from a legit site I have seen so far.

here is a great site i use a lot

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Great site, thanks for the link

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 13:04:09 »
I love my D40. One day I may upgrade but I have yet to see the need! I have never felt any limitations with this camera. On a side note do not let megapixels determine your choice. Anything between 6 and 10 is plenty unless you plan on making wall size prints on a regular basis (ie. a 6 megapixel normal size print will look the same as a 21 megapixel!).

I highly recommend going to a local dealer even if the price is not as good. You want a camera that fits your hand well that your are comfortable this (viewfinder, interface, weight, etc). Comfort actually becomes one of the most important factors unless you are planning to become a semi-professional photographer. Almost any of the entry DSLR's will be more than enough to meet your needs. A D40 or D90 will be plenty enough or the matching Cannon bodys.

If you really want to put money into something skip the body and focus on the glass (lens). These will never become obsolete and make the biggest difference in pictures.

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 13:32:16 »
+1 on the dikon d camera
have a d50
take wonderful photo
also lens is way cheap than canon
by the way canon is very good camera also

d40 will only cost u $400-$500.00

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 20:24:28 »
Starting from scratch, I would recommend going and playing with a Nikon and a Cannon.

I've used a Nikon stuff for a while.  So I had plenty of lenses, so it was natural for me to get a D80.  I have a Tamron 90mm Macro Lens that takes nice pictures.

There are pretty good reviews to read at http://www.dpreview.com/

slandis3

Reefd Up

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 22:13:07 »
here is a great site i use a lot

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

+1 on Steve's Digicams...awesome site (at least it was when I bought my last camera.)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 22:26:56 »
You guys and you Nikons :P

I hate Nikons. Lenses may be cheaper, but I don't think they are quality. I remember when Trimble Navigation purchased Nikons Survey side. The optics were crap compared to the Zeiss units Trimble sold.

Not only that, but the menus, and interface is freakin confusing.

Its like the Blackberry thing for those of us in the cell world. People hate it, until they learn it I guess.

Anyways. Canon lenses may be more expensive. But your getting a better sensor in the body, and a MUCH easier camera to use.

Sadly I have to get rid of mine tommorrow :(

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 22:30:24 »
I bought my last camera Canon from Dell, you might want to go to there web site and look they have several different xsi i wasnt for sure what size you was wanting but they do have several different ones

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 22:58:50 »
Brian I have a nikon D40 at the green house. Next time you stop by you can give it a try if you'd like.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 14:51:47 »
FYI: walmart has the nikon d-40 with lense i beleive it was a 18-55mm for $448.84

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 20:02:07 »
Thank you all for your input. I have not had much time to research due to crazy work schedule. Going to take Logzor recommendation and look at them in person at the store. If anyone comes across good deals used let me know.

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:58:34 »
I have a line on a nikon d40x used. Interested?? Asking $400.00. He may take less.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 20:24:21 »
Pretty sure I have made the decision on the lens. It is the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens. Does anyone have this one or see any reason why this one may not be a good choice? Still need to decide on which camera manufacture, Cannon or Nikon

There are two versions, one for the Cannon

http://www.jr.com/sigma/pe/SGA_CA105MACRO

and one for the Nikon

http://www.jr.com/sigma/pe/SGA_NA105MACRO

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 21:52:46 »
I have said it before, and I will say it again. Canon. Much easier to use, better build quality. I sold my Rebel XSI when I purchased this car. I am borrowing a Nikon D60 from a friend. The Canon by FAR (much FARTHER), is a better camera out of the box.

The Canon is easier to use, and the kit lense is better.

As far as the Sigma goes, I have used those aswell. Regardless, Canon or Nikon, Get a Canon or Nikon lense. There is a reason they are so cheap. I have used both, on Both Cameras.

Canon Body, Canon lense = Win.