2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WTB a Camera  (Read 10464 times)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: WTB a Camera
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 22:50:51 »
Of course the Nikon guys say the same thing :)   I have a Nikon N70 35mm, and Now a Nikon D80

Since you don't have anything, go play with both..... Get whatever is comfortable.

I was looking at the Sigma Lens, but it will be about a 155 focal length on the digital body.   I have the Tamron 90mm F2.8  and I still find I have to backup to get the whole shot.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 23:25:51 »
Of course the Nikon guys say the same thing :)   I have a Nikon N70 35mm, and Now a Nikon D80

Since you don't have anything, go play with both..... Get whatever is comfortable.

I was looking at the Sigma Lens, but it will be about a 155 focal length on the digital body.   I have the Tamron 90mm F2.8  and I still find I have to backup to get the whole shot.

Very true! Go play with them! In my opinion the Canon's are easier.

But Tamron lenses are much better than the Sigma lenses hands down. Still can't beat a Nikon or Canon lense though :P What did the 90mm F/2.8 run you?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 03:03:12 »
One of the important features is to be able to save the settings on the camera such as white balance. Is that a pretty standard feature with both Nikon and Canon? My Point and Shoot does not save which is a pain in the butt.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:23 »
One of the important features is to be able to save the settings on the camera such as white balance. Is that a pretty standard feature with both Nikon and Canon? My Point and Shoot does not save which is a pain in the butt.

I never tryed it on the Canon. The Nikon does. But its a pain in the rear to set.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 12:46:05 »
The Tamron lense was less than 1/2 the cost of the comparable Nikon lens.  Still I think it was about $350.

Nikon will retain settings of each mode to whatever you last set them.   Both cameras should also be able to save a RAW file too.   I have my camera set to save a jpg and a Raw file for every shot.  That way if I happen to get that perfect shot, but something is off in the Balence, I have the RAW image I can adjust with the computer.

If you really want to play, your more than welcome to come over and play with my D80.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 14:30:52 »
Thanks Paul I will take you on that

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 22:30:20 »
With the holidays coming up the camera companies have a lot of rebates out there so I took advantage of that and bought a Cannon t1i and Tamaron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. It should be here Thursday. Cant wait!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 19:17:08 »
With the holidays coming up the camera companies have a lot of rebates out there so I took advantage of that and bought a Cannon t1i and Tamaron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. It should be here Thursday. Cant wait!

Looks like a good choice.  We expect a ton of new pics

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 21:16:54 »
Here are some of the first pics from the camera. It is not as easy to use as the old Point and Shoot. Going to take some time to get used to all the settings.
Most are pretty cropped.

Birdsnest

Ricordea and some POM POM Xenia

Bam Bam Zoa's

Green and Blue Acan

About a 300% crop on some GSP

Tyree Sunset

Goniopora

New Sump and Skimmer getting ready to hold all the corals while the new tank gets built

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 21:50:28 »
That GSP is awesome... I never noticed the little brown hair things.. What MM are you shooting those macros at?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 22:25:29 »
Here are some of the first pics from the camera. It is not as easy to use as the old Point and Shoot. Going to take some time to get used to all the settings.
Most are pretty cropped.]

Get yourself a big and fast memory card.  You'll take a dozen for every one you like.  Definately not your old point and shoot.

Play with Depth of Field.   That tamron is a pretty fast lens, so you can shoot with a small aperature and still keep a fast shutter.    I shoot in aperture priority mode and then shoot some with small aperatures and some wide open.   And almost always in manual focus.

What software are you using to edit?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 00:25:18 »
Wes I am shooting with a 90mm Tamron Lens.

Paul I don't have anything other then Picassa to edit the photos. Is there a tool that you recommend?

These particular photos were cropped after I uploaded to Photobucket. They got some pretty neat tools. The only bad thing is it it strips all the camera and lens information from the pictures.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:22 »
WOW awesome pics!!!

Blown76mav

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 06:26:06 »
Those look great Brian.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:43 »
Thanks guys, hope you all don't get sick of seeing my pictures cause I will like to be posting some more as I learn more about camera.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:18 »
come now, do you think we would honestly grow tired of looking at pictures :D

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:44 »
vary cool ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:31 »
Wes I am shooting with a 90mm Tamron Lens.

Paul I don't have anything other then Picassa to edit the photos. Is there a tool that you recommend?

www.gimp.org     Open Source Image editing program. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:40 »
Thanks will get it a try

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 00:24:59 »
Took a couple more shots tonight. These came from the frag tank. Not real close up like the others because the table the tank is on sticks out and wont allow the tripod to get close to the tank.

Bought these at CORA, they are Dijton Pink and Gold but have morphed to have a greenish center in my tank.

Same as above but in lower light, think I will move it now.

My favorite of all Zoa's....Magician's.

Rainbows

Goochster

Cherry Coral Orange Crush Acan

Coral Ranch Acro

Frag Tank, check out the Acro in the upper left had corner. It is from Coral Ranch and is dark purple base with blue, green and purple branches. They had this for a year and no one bought it. Just did not look good under the Kelvin of the sun. When I got it home under the lights I was ecstatic, Thanks Rich!

The guy I got these from called them Spiderman's. Got one polyp at CORA and they are growing good.

Coral Ranch Captain America's

ORA Monti.

Probrably my favorite coral. It is a Tyree something. Color is pretty amazing.

Thanks for looking.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 00:41:59 »
Great photos Lazy!

I'll take one of each ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

RTN_H8ter

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 16:03:48 »
These are great photos! Glad to see more Canon's and less Nikons.

But they are pixelated. So either your host is resizing or compressing them, or you are cropping them too much. Try imageshack.us to host them, and don't crop as much. But by the looks of it, I think its your host.

Blown76mav

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 16:11:40 »
These are great photos! Glad to see more Canon's and less Nikons.

But they are pixelated. So either your host is resizing or compressing them, or you are cropping them too much. Try imageshack.us to host them, and don't crop as much. But by the looks of it, I think its your host.

Na its gotta be on your end probably a PC thing.  Those pictures are fine I can blow them up to over 22inchs wide and they are still clear as a bell.  But then again, I'm using a little larger monitor than most and by far a better computer. ;D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 18:06:58 »
thats a tyree undata
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 21:07:02 »
Great pics Brian......the frag tank is looking good.