2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: pics of my new diy sump  (Read 3214 times)

Offline wolfeden3

• I hate aptasia!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Juvenile
  • I LOVE ZOANTHIDS AND SOFTIES!!!!!
pics of my new diy sump
« on: November 11, 2009, 00:27:33 »

not in operation yet but slowly getting there!!!!
:) 90g w/ 30g refuge 776w mh w/ pc attinic f/o tank
;) 46 bow front new diy sump 192w pc f/c tank
;) 10g frag tank marine-land reef capable led

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: pics of my new diy sump
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 00:33:05 »
Are the baffles on the right side your bubble trap?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline wolfeden3

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 00:35:30 »
i have more glass that i can use but there are only 2 baffles in it right now to separate the pump section and the filter section. the center section will be for sand and cheato.
 ;D

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 00:42:23 »
If you don't mind, I would like to make a suggestion. Give your baffles as much space between them as you can. The closer they are together, the faster the water moves the less effective it is at stopping bubbles.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Reefd Up

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 07:06:47 »
You also may want to take the metal protector off your flood light.  Those aren't made to hold flood lights; they'll overheat.  You'll have a dead bulb pretty quickly.  Looks nice otherwise!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 23:04:04 »
Per your request....

Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 08:38:29 »
If you don't mind, I would like to make a suggestion. Give your baffles as much space between them as you can. The closer they are together, the faster the water moves the less effective it is at stopping bubbles.

i do agree looks good tho
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2009, 23:57:07 »
another suggestion on the flood light- I recommend just getting a dome lamp, they are similar to the one you have, but are larger. and just use a compact florescent curly bulb and set it on top of the glass. The clip on the glass baffle will get rusty, and is an electrical hazard. Plus, getting rid of the flood light will save you money and wont pump tons of heat into the system. I have used CF bulbs and dome lamps over fuges for many years with no ill effects. In my experience, the closer the bulb is to 10,000K (i think the highest in normal cf bulbs is 9,200K), the more good algae grows, with less of a chance of diatoms, cyano, GHA, etc.

For baffles to the return pump, I have always used old vhs tapes to space the glass, and have found that method to be great

Offline wolfeden3

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 10:32:48 »
for everyone's information that flood light bulb is bright effects 6500k bulb with built in reflector purchased from Lowe's for less than 10$. It is a true daylight curly Q bulb inside glass. Check it out it should be really good for growing cheato in my sump! I'm going to start of with no bubble trap and see how that works. If I need one then i will put one in. I have a couple pieces of glass left over. Thanks for the input of my light...
Thanks,
Garry

Blown76mav

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 11:01:43 »
Garry,

I have that same bulb in my sump, the Cheato needs to cut back everyother week.  6500K is the bulb to use. I would lose the reflector though cause its not really doing anything, the floodlight has its own built in reflector.  As far as the bubble trap, your gonna need something to keep the sand and Cheato out of the return pump.  I'd just do the 3 pains like you have them only with about a inch of space between them.

Lonnie