2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Sump/Refugium in a 10g for a 29g reef  (Read 3292 times)

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Sump/Refugium in a 10g for a 29g reef
« on: December 31, 2009, 08:53:27 »
I am trying to decide what filtration (among other things) to use with the 29g reef I will be setting up in the next couple months.  I am right now riding between the Reaction canister with UV sterilizer, and building a sump/refugium in a 10g (because I have a few sitting around).  I don't want to have to drill the 29g, so considering a H.O.T overflow box, but other than that I am open to suggestions on how I should build the sump.  Thanks in advance!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Sump/Refugium in a 10g for a 29g reef
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:34:23 »
Canister filters will only cause you problems in the long run. A sump is truly the way to go. For the amount you'd likely spend on a HOT overflow, you can have it drilled and install an overflow kit. I would seriously consider having your tank drill, if nothing else, go with a sump with a HOT overflow.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 09:44:37 »
So will a 10g sump/refugium be adequate?  How big should the refugium be for a 29g?  I've seen in other threads that I'll want glass panels for my glass aquarium, so the silicone will hold.  This particular 29g is kind of sentimental, hence the reluctance to risk breaking a pane in drilling.

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2009, 14:32:38 »
Ghurlag - I can't give you advice on drilling versus an overflow kit, but I can talk about 10g sumps.  :)

I have a 10g sump that I made when I first started the hobby...and it was hooked up to a 40g main tank.  On a 10g sump, you can actually get away with using cheapo plexiglass instead of glass for the baffles.  It takes a bit more silicone, but since there's not much pressure, the plexiglass-glass silcone seal will hold (at least it did for me.)  Not saying I recommend it, but if you're in a pinch, it can work. 

The 10g sump was fine on the 40g tank.  Granted, that 40g tank was cursed from day 1 - crashed for every reason under the sun (exterminator accidentally put poison too near to it...husband dumped 1g of magnesium in it as "topoff water", etc.)  But, other than stupid things, it worked great.  There was just enough room for a small skimmer (as I mentioned in your skimmer thread) and a refugium section where I grow gracilaria and chaetomorpha algae.  I now have that 10g sump plumbed up to a second 10g tank.  Works great.  That system has been up and running for 1.5 years now, keeping SPS (see my thread, The Little Tank that Shouldn't...)

Nikki

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2009, 15:52:02 »
Awesome advice!  Thanks!

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2009, 16:00:06 »
So will a 10g sump/refugium be adequate?  How big should the refugium be for a 29g?  I've seen in other threads that I'll want glass panels for my glass aquarium, so the silicone will hold.  This particular 29g is kind of sentimental, hence the reluctance to risk breaking a pane in drilling.

Then by all means use a HOT overflow. Sumps are FAR superior to canister filters.

On the topic of 10G sumps, I run one on my 29, check out "JD's 29"
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2009, 17:04:18 »
i would go with the sump mite cost more at the beging but in the long run its cheaper and easyer to maintane you will be happer with it
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 17:11:21 »
Thanks, JD, thanks, Hunter...  Sump it is.  Incidentally, I saw reeflover's classified post pertaining to selling his 29g outfit, so I'm helping lighten his load.  I'm headed over tomorrow to pick everything up - so I'm getting in a little sooner than originally planned, but it was an opportunity not to be passed up! 

JD, nice setup, btw.  I'll be poring over what you have in there for a few weeks.  Once I get the tank set up, I'll begin the livestock plan and monitor the water quality until I'm confident it's ready.  I can't wait!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 17:13:33 »
congrates made a wise move
SIZE DOES MATTER