2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Ghurlag's Tanks - Part 2  (Read 13878 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: Ghurlag's Tanks - Part 2
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2010, 22:51:29 »
I should make a batch of Crack to bring, but not sure if I'll have time.  OMG.... :notworthy it's sooooooo good.

Hey hey!! The popo just saw that........we'll be planning a raid....now where exactly is this "meeting" being held"

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2010, 23:13:07 »
lol - I was very stealthy and posted address and directions in the February Meeting thread so all the rapists could find me :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2010, 11:49:27 »
lol - I was very stealthy and posted address and directions in the February Meeting thread so all the rapists could find me :)
sure u were ill be seeing the meeting on the new lol
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2010, 12:01:44 »
I would love to have an excuse to take someone apart with my bare hands :)  I would never be that fortunate  :'(

Actually, after the meeting, I'll probably go back and try to remove some of that info.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2010, 14:03:17 »
one of the mods could take it off and next just have every one who is comeing pm u  and you can pm them ur adress
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2010, 14:06:49 »
I would love to have an excuse to take someone apart with my bare hands :)  I would never be that fortunate  :'(

Actually, after the meeting, I'll probably go back and try to remove some of that info.

I'll remove your info after today, don't worry.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2010, 14:23:35 »
I knew what I was doing when I put it out there.  I thought it was just easier than me answering a million and a half PMs.  Either way, if I get an internet stalker, I know how to dispatch them :) :) :)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #57 on: February 27, 2010, 20:36:03 »
i under stand
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #58 on: February 27, 2010, 20:44:27 »
Due to the paltry PAR reading we got on my 70 W MH, I have rigged up the 2 24" T5's I have to shed a little more light on the tank.  I'll get some new bulbs for the T5's this week, and am working on upgrading my MH ASAP.  I need to post some new pics soon.  The tank looks drastically different from my original pics

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2010, 22:00:20 »
OKay, going to try to add some new pics:

More details can be seen at http://ghurlag.wordpress.com/reef where you can also see a bit of a timeline from its inception until now

You can also see my new blog post as http://ghurlag.wordpress.com

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2010, 22:04:34 »
What were those PAR ratings right under the bulb?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2010, 22:07:50 »
Something like 11 or 12 on the meter, whatever that converts to.  All I know is that the end translation was "sucks."

This pics I took were about an hour ago, and after I added the T5's I had hiding out.  I'll be interested to see if anything changes between now and when I get the new MH fixture installed.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2010, 22:40:07 »
Thanks to Stephanie (~reefchik~) I was able to measure my salinity with a refractometer instead of my hydrometer.  According to the refractometer, my salinity is at 1.030.  Hydrometer says 1.025-1.026.  Any thoughts on if I should panic?  Anyone know anywhere I can get a fairly inexpensive refractometer?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2010, 22:52:22 »
Thanks to Stephanie (~reefchik~) I was able to measure my salinity with a refractometer instead of my hydrometer.  According to the refractometer, my salinity is at 1.030.  Hydrometer says 1.025-1.026.  Any thoughts on if I should panic?  Anyone know anywhere I can get a fairly inexpensive refractometer?

I think mine was about $35 on ebay.

Something like 11 or 12 on the meter, whatever that converts to.  All I know is that the end translation was "sucks."

This pics I took were about an hour ago, and after I added the T5's I had hiding out.  I'll be interested to see if anything changes between now and when I get the new MH fixture installed.

Multiply by 5 so around 60 PAR.  I stopped by Reefchiks house on the way home and the meter was working normal there, so I trust results we got at your house.  Let me know when you get the 150W on there and we'll check it again.  Make sure you are target feeding the corals to make up for the lack of light.  Although they say that coral get 95% of all nutrition through light, that is ONLY if you are above the Photosaturation level, Which im sure you are not for that acro frag.  I got one from Justin and it its already looseing color in a spot that I am getting about 125 PAR
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 23:05:08 by cyberwollf »

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2010, 23:00:42 »
Really?  That's not bad at all.  Somewhere along the way, I had heard they were over $100

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2010, 00:06:50 »
I think AS had them for $40, but its been a while since I saw them.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2010, 01:53:11 »
What brand MH bulb are you using?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:21 »
Josh, thanks.  I'll check with Justin and see what he has.  It's been over a week since I've been up there, so I'm jonesing :).

As far as bulb brand, I have no idea, since it's carry over from buying the setup.  Now I'm noty sure if I want 150 or 250 W, but I clearly need to do something ASAP

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2010, 11:41:48 »
Josh, thanks.  I'll check with Justin and see what he has.  It's been over a week since I've been up there, so I'm jonesing :).

As far as bulb brand, I have no idea, since it's carry over from buying the setup.  Now I'm noty sure if I want 150 or 250 W, but I clearly need to do something ASAP

I think 250W would be a little overkill.  you bought the bulb using the fixture right? Do you know for sure that it is only 6 months and not >2yrs old?

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2010, 11:43:52 »
Dunno.  So you think 150 Watts would be fine then?  What should I target feed to the acropora and montipora until I get the light situation remedied?

Offline Kenn

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2010, 11:48:53 »
I am loving my 150 watt. More over my 26g would most definitely be over kill IMO. I am looking for another 150 for a future build so I will keep an eye out for ya as well.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2010, 11:49:36 »
Im just getting into MH so dont buy on my advice  :laugh: 250w just seems like alot for that tank.

Im not sure what to target feed? didnt you say you have cycopese or something? Your monti had tremendous PE, it is probably looking for food.  I think i read most corals eat mostly right before and right after daylight.  Try a turkey baster and see if they eat it

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2010, 11:51:13 »
I should definitely read up on that.  Got into SPS haphazardly.  Hopefully the used T5 bulbs I put on as a supplement last night buy me some time.  I'm going to start yet another lighting thread...

lilleigh

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2010, 18:42:17 »
I think mine was about $35 on ebay.

Multiply by 5 so around 60 PAR.  I stopped by Reefchiks house on the way home and the meter was working normal there, so I trust results we got at your house.  Let me know when you get the 150W on there and we'll check it again.  Make sure you are target feeding the corals to make up for the lack of light.  Although they say that coral get 95% of all nutrition through light, that is ONLY if you are above the Photosaturation level, Which im sure you are not for that acro frag.  I got one from Justin and it its already looseing color in a spot that I am getting about 125 PAR

What Acro did you get?

Losing color can be a few things, but most likely too much light. Like you said, photo saturation! Try moving it down a bit. I tend to start all my Acros lower than I think they should be and watch their color. Slowly move them up if they turn brown.

I need to check my par. Something I noticed, I have an acro that is growing down. I wonder if it is growing away from the light. Likes its too much. Its not as green as it once was. But its still a super fast grower.

Offline ghurlag

• Adult
« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2010, 22:07:05 »
It's something like a lime green acropora.  After discussion and PAR readings yesterday, I really think I have a problem with lack of light.  We'll see, though