2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Zoathids..what do they want?  (Read 4079 times)

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
Zoathids..what do they want?
« on: April 02, 2010, 13:45:49 »
What the heck?

These zoas still aren't opening, and some of them seem now to be melting.  I don't get it.  What do they want?  Must be the opposite of what I'm doing for everything else  :(
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline chromiumlux

Re: Zoathids..what do they want?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 13:48:18 »
where do you have them placed in the tank?
Chromiumlux

Offline reefer79

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:17:10 »
i know they live steady pH 8.2 and NOT the cleanest water quality

Reefd Up

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:51:53 »
Reefchik, could you please post your water parameters - pH, alk, mag, ca, phosphates, nitrates, salinity, and temp?  Could you also post a photo of the zoanthids (some come from cooler or deeper parts of the ocean).  A photo could help us ID the problem.  There are some fungus/bacteria/etc that cause zoanthids to "melt"

Here's a great place when you're talking about zoanthids to start:  http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=632970

I think we should rule out the basics (water parameters) before you start dipping or treating.

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 14:22:51 »
March 27:

Alk = 9
pH = 8
Ca = 400
Mag = 1280
N03 = almost undetectable
P03 = .12

Thanks for that link but most of those are inactive  :(  I reported it to RC admin yesterday.  I've spent HOURS at the Zoanthid section at RC lately.  They seem to think I just need to wait.

-Steph
--------------

Reefd Up

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 14:34:10 »
I'd get the phosphates down.  You want them undetectable or 0.03 with a standard test kit.  Your Ca, Mag, and pH could stand to come up, but they're not likely causing the problem (they're borderline ok...just need to make sure they don't dip lower). 

Ugh, sorry that link wasn't helpful.  I looked at some of the links, but it was an old thread. 

How long has this problem been going on?  Is it just affecting one colony?  By melting, do you mean they are getting a film over them, and when the film blows off, the coral seems more shrunken?  Or do they have any sort of white (or other color) fuzz on them (indicative of a fungus).  Any bumps on them?  Any nearby corals?

I'd start running some new carbon.  It'll help rid the tank of toxins floating around that might be irritating the coral in the meantime. 

Offline larrynews

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 14:42:11 »
my phosphates are always high, because, i dont know why, i have found that the really bright ones like pink maroon  and such i have had melt away i moved them, and they did better but not all of them, i have mine in pretty good water flow and they have responded  it took a day for them to get used to it but they did. not much help but i have also had that problem

Offline reefman

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 21:01:09 »
I feel Zoathids can live in any water and some phosphates are not a big issue for them.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 21:04:29 »
I feel Zoathids can live in any water and some phosphates are not a big issue for them.
I have to agree with you on that, hell i thought they was like a weed mine grows all over my tank, thought it was impossible to kill them...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 21:07:43 »
sem with mine but i do sometimes have to move them around to get them to open
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 21:14:32 »
sem with mine but i do sometimes have to move them around to get them to open
Ive got a rock about the size of a basket ball, that i got from joel last summer, and a rescue frag of bright green which was about 8 heads back in nov when i bought it from Rich, which is now 80 plus heads, heck i couldnt move that rock if i wanted to, the only time they close other than when the lights are out is if one of my skunks gets in the middle of them..

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 22:05:11 »
I'd get the phosphates down.  You want them undetectable or 0.03 with a standard test kit.  Your Ca, Mag, and pH could stand to come up, but they're not likely causing the problem (they're borderline ok...just need to make sure they don't dip lower). 

Ugh, sorry that link wasn't helpful.  I looked at some of the links, but it was an old thread. 

How long has this problem been going on?  Is it just affecting one colony?  By melting, do you mean they are getting a film over them, and when the film blows off, the coral seems more shrunken?  Or do they have any sort of white (or other color) fuzz on them (indicative of a fungus).  Any bumps on them?  Any nearby corals?

I'd start running some new carbon.  It'll help rid the tank of toxins floating around that might be irritating the coral in the meantime. 

Well, I'm not arguing, but I've been told zoas like relatively "dirty" water.  I wouldn't think that low amount (almost undetectable, colorwise) would bother them, really? 

These are all new zoas, except that the older brown button polyps and yellows (parazoanthus gracilis) have also closed down for the most part.  My guess is that something I did around the time (or something that happened in the tank) about the same time (mid March) I got the new ones is what is causing the issues.  The question is what.

When I say melting, I mean shrinking and disappearing.  One set, I believe it's the Rainbows, are doing this.

The larger ones are just balled up, but there's nothing on them.  Nothing near them, either.  Interestingly enough, I had to put a trio of Red Hornets into a shot glass because I knocked 'em off the rock I'd glued them to, and they are opening up.   

What about that shot glass is making those 3 happy?   ???
-Steph
--------------

Reefd Up

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 22:14:42 »
Sorry, my comment about the phosphates was not directed entirely at the zoanthids.  I know you are keeping a variety of coral, including sps (right?), so in general for your tank health, I would get it down.  Some phosphates are good, but not that high IME for overall tank health.

Two things on the shot glass - one is alcohol (seriously).  There may have been trace amounts of alcohol on the glass which acts as a bacterial food source...which benefitted the zoanthids.  Unlikely, but possible.  Second is just reduced flow.

Without seeing a photo, I don't know what to tell you.  You could try dipping to treat fungus or parasites. You could also try Vitamin C dosing. 

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2010, 22:22:47 »
All the zoas except the Ultimate Rainbows are opening up now.  Finally.  About a month. 
-Steph
--------------

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2010, 01:01:56 »
thats good  that they opend
SIZE DOES MATTER