2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: DIY Wall-Tank Design  (Read 4438 times)

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
DIY Wall-Tank Design
« on: May 10, 2010, 00:03:40 »
As closing draws closer on my new house I've been planning on what I'm going to be doing with the basement. It has a large rec room that I am going to put my pool table in. Been kinda slow this weekend so I've been planning a new in-wall tank for this room.

It's going to be a glass-cages.com 95 gallon - 4' wide reef ready. It's 48Lx24Dx17T and I will get the starphire low iron front glass option. Has 1 glass overflow with acrylic cover, drilled for return and drain. I will also be using a standard 55 gallon converted into a DIY sump. As for lighting 2x250w Halides 14k bulbs, lumenbright mini reflectors, and 2x54w T5 actinics. Using a ASM G2 skimmer I have, and a Quiet one 4000 for the return pump. I'm going to spray paint the back and sides. Will probably get a Vortech powerhead.

Any tips, ideas, suggestions on doing an in-wall tank? Anyone know if any other manufacturer makes a tank in this size? I know All-glass doesn't, just kinda sucks to have to pay to ship a big tank. Or drive to Tennessee to pick it up.

Show Side - There will be wood molding around the tank obviously.

Equipment Side

Sump Design - 1st skimmer section, then fuge section, then flow through area to put Carbon, Phos-Zorb, or Chemi-Pure, and through the bubble trap and to the pump. Gate valve on split return to dump off water back into the skimmer section and control flow.

Lighting Setup. Will put on some kind of pulley system to raise and lower the light rack.

This is still quite a ways off, we've go some re-modeling to do upstairs and I'm going to have to tear down the wood paneling walls and drop ceiling that are down there and put up all new drywall first. Hoping to have this done before the end of the year funds permitting of course.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 00:24:31 by lightningfront »
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: DIY Wall-Tank Design
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 05:09:09 »
Awesome job in sketchup!
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 08:13:44 »
that would look great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 09:21:53 »
I am doing something similar right now, in-wall system.  I want the same look that you have in your sketch.  From what I've read though, if we drywall right in front of the tank down to the top, at some point we'll need to get to the front of the tank and be unable to do so.   I've seen decorative wood panels, almost like a fireplace, and I've seen folks try to 'hid' a drywall panel cutout.  Not sure which way I'm going at this point.  It would be nice, above the tank, to have that whole section of the wall removable if necessary.   

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 11:45:53 »
My only advise after having one is have front access to the tank.  I had access but it was limited on my 8x3x2 and it sucked. Baggerhog has no front access on his 8x4x2 and watching him try to grab something out of the tank from the back is fun. I know your tank isn't as big as those, but it will still be a pain placing frags and such.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 12:43:41 »
Here is my idea of my room.  This is a duplicate post from my thread, i doubt anybody is reading that one:

Dark Blue is the tank
Light Blue is drywall
Dark Brown on top of tank is a beam I have to contend with
Tan is a removable section.  I am thinking 2x2 frame with canvas material and sound-proof foam on the inside... but need to consider it will be somewhat near the MH, so design here may change materials, but concept is same.  This section will pop out a little, so i won't try to make it invisible.  It will give the wall some 3d effect and a change in color slightly, so to take away from the wood beam overhead.  (at least that is what the interior decorator guys said on TV) 

Brown box around tank is a nice wood frame, also removable. 

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 17:37:46 »
Well I've been reading some reviews on the workmanship from glasscages.com and they seem to be hit and miss on their quality and customer service so I don't believe I'll be getting a tank from them. I think I will just go with a standard All Glass 120 RR and just have to have the tank a little lower.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2010, 17:50:44 »
Customer service is horrible  :flame  My 240g glass cages tank was nice. There ere some air pockets in the silicone but for the money I was really happy with the tank. The nice thing about them they come drilled for 1" return and 1.5" drain They use sch 80 bulkheads which are worth the money. The only reason I switched to the tank I have now which is a 250g marineland is because I got a good deal on it and its 3' deep. I may have glass cages build my next tank.

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2010, 17:59:17 »
If you are looking to save some money...... not saying that I have yet, jury is still out....  but a local retailer was trying to make room at all their stores, and they were getting rid of bigger tanks.  You may be able to get a deal, but you have to call around and see what they have, and what deal they may give you, and usually talk to the store manager.  Also, you may be able to get a 120 non-reef much cheaper, and do an internal overflow box (either glass-holes.com or a beananimal.com style with a calfo).  You could have all the fun I'm having! 

- rayk

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2010, 18:07:23 »
The problem I have is no one makes a tank the size I will upgrade to in a few years, 7'x3'x30". The price difference between glasscages and miracles in glass is about $2000 I wish someone made a standard tank close to the size I want to upgrade to.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2010, 20:29:43 »
Hey, that's my setup :)

I think I've seen some of these comments, but I'll ellaborate.

1) Front Access - I have a 90gal  (48x18x25 Tall)  Reaching the front edge sucks.   Plus reaching over the corals to get the sand, usually leads to a few cracked tips.
2)  I know it's just a mockup, but tank looks too high.
3)  The center braces on the backside are not needed.  You'll appreciate access to your sump.  Just build a good tank frame, and good corner supports.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2010, 23:09:02 »
2)  I know it's just a mockup, but tank looks too high.

WHat is the height from the floor to bottom of your tank Paul?  It looked like a nice height when I saw it.

I just raised mine and LOVE the look, its a PITA to reach the bottom now and i have to have a stepstool, but I love not having to bend over to look in.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 01:15:58 »
Ya that is what I'm going for. Having the tank as high as possible with allowing room for the lights so you don't have to bend over or kneel to look into the tank from the front.

Not having support in the middle makes me nervous. I may go down to 1 support instead of 2 but I don't think I'll go without just in case.

I would love to have access from the front side but don't want to mess up the living picture frame look. I'll deal with working from the back just to keep the front as clean as possible.

Re-draw with 120 AGA Reef Ready dual overflow. I left the top of the tank at the same height just lowered the bottom to get the extra 7 inches of height over the 95. So now the bottom of the tank will be 37" from the floor and there will be 18" above the tank to the ceiling for lighting.

28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 08:18:34 »

I just raised mine and LOVE the look, its a PITA to reach the bottom now and i have to have a stepstool, but I love not having to bend over to look in.

+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 08:30:48 »
Well I've been reading some reviews on the workmanship from glasscages.com and they seem to be hit and miss on their quality and customer service so I don't believe I'll be getting a tank from them. I think I will just go with a standard All Glass 120 RR and just have to have the tank a little lower.

Agree with Slandis. Customer Service sucks. Tanks are excellent for the money. I've owned 5 in my life and all of them were without issues. Silicone was a little sloppy, meaning they picked up the gun at the end of a run and left a tail on the glass that they did not clean up. My new oceanic had the same thing so this can happen with any tank. What you need to remember about the internet is you're only seeing the 2% of people who were so unhappy that the took the time to write about it on some forum or the 1% that were so happy that they wrote about it on the internet. You're not hearing anything from the other 97% that are happy with their tank, but would not take the time to write a review on any website. Glasscages ships hundreds of tanks a week so if all you see is a few people on reefcentral bashing them, they must be doing ok. I went and picked up my 8x3x2 tank from them. I had it customized with specific overflows, hole sizes etc so there was some cost in that, but I was still $2400 cheaper than any other manufacturer that sent me a quote. For that amount of savings I'll take the poor customer service.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 21:32:26 »
Ya that is what I'm going for. Having the tank as high as possible with allowing room for the lights so you don't have to bend over or kneel to look into the tank from the front.

Not having support in the middle makes me nervous. I may go down to 1 support instead of 2 but I don't think I'll go without just in case.

I would love to have access from the front side but don't want to mess up the living picture frame look. I'll deal with working from the back just to keep the front as clean as possible.

Re-draw with 120 AGA Reef Ready dual overflow. I left the top of the tank at the same height just lowered the bottom to get the extra 7 inches of height over the 95. So now the bottom of the tank will be 37" from the floor and there will be 18" above the tank to the ceiling for lighting.

Pictures are deceiving.  My tank sits at 48.5" off of the floor, Would like mine a bit lower.  I keep my wife's old step from aerobics in front of the tank, it's about 6" tall.  That does good.     You should have more overhead clearance, are you measuring to the studs, or your drop ceiling?

If your dead set against front access.....and I know what you mean for the "clean look"  Make sure you can get at the sides of the tank, and you should be fine.

On your stand, the AGA or other fab tanks have a plastic rail around the bottom of the tank.  Turn your 2x4's on the top frame vertical for more strength.   Go look at a prefab stand they sell for a 120, your stand is way overbuilt.