2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Crazy Idea!  (Read 3648 times)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Crazy Idea!
« on: August 21, 2010, 23:36:12 »
Ok, so when im bored ideas randomly come to me :) I'm usually trying to think of new (and cheaper) ways to do things.  Ok follow me here:

i was thinking about my kalk dripping and how hard it was to adjust to get a constant drip rate.. after a few hours it clogs up a little a guess and its much slower.  But, this idea will work for dosing everything else too.

ok so its based on Infrared.  Alot of machinery works by having opto sensors.  It uses infrared leds to emit light and a sensor to receive it.  that way it can tell when something gets in the way.

So the additive drips down a tube with a DIY opto sensor to count the drips, and thats feedback to the controller that has a servo on an air valve.  The additive is stored in an airtight container and gravity dripped into the tank. as air is let in, additive comes out. 

and I better not get any links with this already been done!  ::) ;D

So metered dosing with no pumps... just an idea :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

Re: Crazy Idea!
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 23:42:20 »
ya thats sounds crazy and sounds like it could work 2
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Midwest Express

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 07:39:54 »
Nice!  Let's see this happen!
"The more complex the mind, the greater the need for the simplicity of play."
Capt. James T. Kirk

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 09:48:52 »
I would think a peristaltic dosing pump is much more reliable than an air valve.   

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:31:47 »
I would think a peristaltic dosing pump is much more reliable than an air valve.   

not if its feedback controlled  ;D one of those cheap airvalves, hook up a servo to it. and its alot cheaper... Dont worry Paul you know it will be a few years before i build it LOL
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2010, 21:40:47 »
Your dosing container has to be rigid, or gravity will do its work, and crush your container. Just ask me how I know :)