2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: MH wiring  (Read 2483 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
MH wiring
« on: August 23, 2010, 20:53:54 »
I took out the wire on my lumenarc and am replacing it with a black cord, and I forgot to keep a mental note of what goes where! it is a mogual socket, Does the black wire go to the center part of the bulb base or the outer part? I couldnt find much info on the intranets

slandis3

Re: MH wiring
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 21:05:01 »
Black goes to the center.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 21:05:54 »
Does it matter, Mike?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 21:11:49 »
Does it matter? I never much payed attention to how any of mine are wired. They always fired, not the best life though. Hmmmm.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 21:19:23 »
Does it matter? I never much payed attention to how any of mine are wired. They always fired, not the best life though. Hmmmm.

Its AC is shouldn't
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 21:21:32 »
Probably won't but thats how they come wired new.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2010, 21:29:30 »
hmm... I decided to wire it up before I saw this because I was able to find a diagram on google images... like 49 pages down, and it showed the black going to the outer portion of the base. I fired it up and it worked.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2010, 21:31:37 »
Black goes to the center  could have a problem if its dont done right could blow the bulbs and could start a fire
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2010, 21:37:07 »
Black goes to the center  could have a problem if its dont done right could blow the bulbs and could start a fire

Citation Needed.

;D
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2010, 21:37:44 »
Per code black is hot when it comes to 110v AC. The outer part is considered to be the neutral point. Should work just fine either wau its just not to code.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2010, 21:39:41 »
Per code black is hot when it comes to 110v AC. The outer part is considered to be the neutral point. Should work just fine either wau its just not to code.
true
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2010, 21:41:09 »
Thanks for the reassurance, I was pretty sure it didn't matter what way its wired.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2010, 21:43:37 »

I would go out on a limb and say that "code" was just developed to keep a standard and make sure guys dont wire short circuits lol.  "hot" is just a color.  In AC the voltage inverts 60 times a second so there is no real hot like in DC.  Either hot or return will flip a breaker is they make their way to neutral return

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2010, 21:49:48 »
I would go out on a limb and say that "code" was just developed to keep a standard and make sure guys dont wire short circuits lol.  "hot" is just a color.  In AC the voltage inverts 60 times a second so there is no real hot like in DC.  Either hot or return will flip a breaker is they make their way to neutral return

Wes, I have a hard time taking you seriously after seeing your Ozone generator, 120V power lines simply being wrapped around each other... :)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2010, 21:50:30 »
thats just mean
SIZE DOES MATTER

slandis3

« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 21:56:33 »

True but if your house burns down and its not to code the insurance won't pay for it.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 21:58:03 »
Wes, I have a hard time taking you seriously after seeing your Ozone generator, 120V power lines simply being wrapped around each other... :)

If you're scared, say you're scared...

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 22:00:20 »
True but if your house burns down and its not to code the insurance won't pay for it.

Ohh yea, i dont doubt that.  insurance companies are slimy.  Never hard wire anything, if you create a junction box for your tank, make sure it plugs into an outlet, not hard wired.  They will also get you since you arnt a lic electrician.  If you plug it in, its not "permanent"

I was just arguing the physics of the topic, of course you should wire it to code to protect yourself if you know which wire is "suppose" to go where.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 22:01:28 »
If you're scared, say you're scared...

At one point you leaned over the sofa came your arm came within an inch or so of the exposed 120. I'm scared.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 22:03:56 »
At one point you leaned over the sofa came your arm came within an inch or so of the exposed 120. I'm scared.

DUDE..... 120 is only a tickle....the only time it starts to get annoying is when im barefoot in saltwater on the basement floor pluging things in, and its only annoying when i get zapped becuase i have to walk across the room to flip the GFCI  ;D

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 22:04:44 »

And should be bonded to ground correct?

I think the myths vs facts about A/C need some clarification lol. In this OLD house, both wires are hot, and will knock you on your butt. But I have a buddy who is an electrician. He says I should be able to lick the white wire and be fine, as long as none of your appliances are plugged in backwards.

The whole thing make my head hurt.

And to make it worse, what is the resistor, or in some cases, round thingermabob in my bulbs. Thats only connected to one side. Is that for pulse start? So for pulse start bulbs they probably should be wired correctly?  

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 22:11:45 »
Pulse start could make a differnce, i didnt think about that  ::)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 22:14:20 »
Pulse start could make a differnce, i didnt think about that  ::)

But most electronic ballasts will fire either though right? Need aspirin lol

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 22:19:42 »
But most electronic ballasts will fire either though right? Need aspirin lol

they should
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2010, 00:24:56 »
I am not following you Wes, if Line and load are reversed a GFCI outlet wont work.