2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Got Crabs? Maybe not any longer...  (Read 8095 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Got Crabs? Maybe not any longer...
« on: September 19, 2010, 00:06:35 »
We've been fighting a "gorilla war" here for 4 weeks. 

Three nights ago, our supposedly last gorilla crab decided to leave the cave where we've been pestering him and "free-range it".  Like a T-rex, humans have an uncanny ability to detect motion...  Anyway, I saw him on the opposite side of the tank from his usual haunt.  Thought to myself, "Self, now you have him."  Took the longest, thinnest Bondus screwdriver (for wire terminals), and stabbed at him.  I missed him, knocked him off the rock and knocked the rock over.  I swear he gave me "the claw" on the way to somewhere else.  Little <expletive deleted>.  Little crab, 1.  Homo sapiens, zip.

He showed up again under this huge asptasia that I can't seem to kill.  Think "Little Shop of Horrors" here.  Round II.  I bellowed at the wife, "Quick, hand me the awl."  "What's that?"  "The ICE PICK THINGY, and HURRY THE ---- UP!!!"  So, she acts as the forward air controller and "go up a little... no, no, go to the left...  no, the other left... now back... NO, ----ing BACK!  Ok, you got him, GO STRAIGHT IN!"  Yeah, right.  I missed.  Imagine a hundred drunken monkeys and a football...  Crab, 2.  Stupid Homo sapiens, zip and a -10 from the French judge.

Crab rolls into the hole where the asptasia retreated into.  I swear I hear maniacal laughter from inside the tank.  Bright idea.  Round III.  I run and grab a 2ml hypodermic with a 20 gauge needle on it and a mixture of thick kalkwasser and lemon juice in it.  Sharp and a chemical warfare side to it. Following a flurry of directions from the ol' spousal unit, I jab the needle in the hole and empty the sryinge.  Nastiness runs out of the hole, followed by the crab, who is covered with a thick paste of calcium hydroxide.  Did this stop him?  Nope.  Crab, 3.  Human loser, zero and a ton of humiliation.  Remember Quake III, gamers?  I heard it in my head, the Godlike voice in the game saying "Humiliation" coz' I died stupid.

Now, I'm just p------d off.  It's 2AM and I'm tired, mad, frustrated, and did I mention p----d off?  Crab runs up into the rock, and I see a hairy leg waving at me- taunting me, perhaps?  Round IV.  I grab a coathanger of my kid's, bend it into something resembling an illustration out of a Steven Hawking book on string theory, and drive the hook into the alleged hole where the crab is allegedly staying.  Lots of dirt and dust comes out.  No crab.  Big turbo snail comes over and starts working on the mess I made.  I swear I heard that snail mutter "stupid loser." 

Give up and go to bed.

Yesterday, I'm in Gerbers picking up some DT's phytoplankton.  I go home and feed my elephant ear, who seems ailing.  While at it, I run some food over the zoas on a rock from Phishy Business, and my wfe hollers out "MY GOD.  DID YOU SEE THAT?  DO IT AGAIN!"  I dutifully obey, and a huge white claw with black points waves out of the rock.  Pull the rock.  Freshwater dip, zoas and all.  No crab.  Look in the rock.  See BIG crab.  He's in a hollow in the rock and can't get out because he's too big.  Must've got in there when he was small and grew up in the hole.  Needless to say, he's now history.  However, I knew this wasn't the wily beast from the other nights.

Tonight, after looking online for Reef Octopus parts, I turn out the light and walk away from the tank and computer area.  A little voice says "Go look THERE".  So, i turn around, grab a light with a blue filter, and check out a hole I had a feeling about.  BINGO.  Crab is in the hole, which has a second exit to the cave below.  Don't bother the wife, just grab a dental explorer from my toolbox, go back to the tank, and proceed to get medieval on said crab in the moonlight LEDs.  Hermits and cleaner shrimp appeared to clean up the mess in the hole.  My wife thinks he might've tossed out pieces or spare parts from other crabs like chaff/flare to fool me.  I don't think so.  I think I finally got the little bugger.

Hopefully, last one for a while.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
Re: Got Crabs? Maybe not any longer...
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2010, 00:53:43 »
This is was great, thanks Kattz
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2010, 01:01:00 »
wow sounds like u had a fun time  ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2010, 01:30:35 »
This whole episode has made me appreciate tequila.
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2010, 02:01:53 »
Loved it!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2010, 07:29:44 »
                                                             :th_character0028:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2010, 11:25:05 »
Man, makes me wish you didnt get him just so I can keep getting a nightly installment of this fine story. :)
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2010, 11:31:43 »
Man, makes me wish you didnt get him just so I can keep getting a nightly installment of this fine story. :)
+1
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2010, 11:35:16 »
On a side note, its been two years and I finally got my last crab (thought that a year ago....)  over 50 of them things, yep 50.  Where there is one there is more.  Welcome to the world of salt water pest ;D

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 14:15:47 »
On a side note, its been two years and I finally got my last crab (thought that a year ago....)  over 50 of them things, yep 50.  Where there is one there is more.  Welcome to the world of salt water pest ;D
wow  Glad i used mostly dry rock when i started
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2010, 14:40:33 »
wow 50 thats crazy
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2010, 17:44:53 »
loved the story, glad you finally got it.
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2010, 20:11:42 »
I'd like to know where he got his rocks ...

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2010, 21:03:04 »

Doesn't matter, if you buy live rock REAL LIVE rock not the junk from jacks etc... your gonna have hitchhikers like crabs.  Just part of the game. :'(

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2010, 21:04:19 »

Doesn't matter, if you buy live rock REAL LIVE rock not the junk from jacks etc... your gonna have hitchhikers like crabs.  Just part of the game. :'(
yes u will and u will get a ton of good stuff 2 like feather dusters and even a coral
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2010, 22:16:11 »
mixed.  one crab was in a rock from phishy business and couldn't get out; well, in one piece, that is.  90% from premium aquatics, and I think all four were in the same rock - hollow and very porous.

Good rock.  Got several nice pieces from Rich at the coral ranch and the newest beauty from gerbers.  I drowned this last rock in 50 gallons of fresh water for an hour.  Then, I dried it out for an hour, then poured 6 liters of club soda over it.  Nothing bad left on it, and my rocks will seed it back to life. 

Kev

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2010, 22:41:31 »
mixed.  one crab was in a rock from phishy business and couldn't get out; well, in one piece, that is.  90% from premium aquatics, and I think all four were in the same rock - hollow and very porous.

Good rock.  Got several nice pieces from Rich at the coral ranch and the newest beauty from gerbers.  I drowned this last rock in 50 gallons of fresh water for an hour.  Then, I dried it out for an hour, then poured 6 liters of club soda over it.  Nothing bad left on it, and my rocks will seed it back to life. 

Kev

After all that, buy dry rock next time lol. Its much cheaper!

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2010, 22:43:25 »
u can get dry rock for like 1.00 a pound maybe 2.00
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2010, 22:57:56 »
You should think about writing short stories on the side  :-Punch

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2010, 23:10:41 »
You should think about writing short stories on the side  :-Punch
I used to.  And, I used to moderate one of the most combative web forums in the nation - The International Plastic Modeler's Society.  I enjoy writing original humor and satire.

Kev

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2010, 23:12:53 »
Did I mention that my college professors like me and my fellow students generally despise me?  I'm working on that degree that the USAF never gave me time to do, having been in a combat squadron most of my career.

Kev

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2010, 01:19:05 »
After all that, buy dry rock next time lol. Its much cheaper!

That's what I'm going to do when I change tanks.  I got my rocks from Petland, only thing I got was Feather Dusters.  I was lucky, I've heard horror stories about getting unwanted things.  But, my rock isn't pretty.   Down right ugly, but I'll be putting that in the back and the new base rock in front.
You do write a great story ..

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 08:15:22 »
I used to.  And, I used to moderate one of the most combative web forums in the nation - The International Plastic Modeler's Society.  I enjoy writing original humor and satire.

Kev
thats cool
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2010, 08:44:12 »
That's what I'm going to do when I change tanks.  I got my rocks from Petland, only thing I got was Feather Dusters.  I was lucky, I've heard horror stories about getting unwanted things.  But, my rock isn't pretty.   Down right ugly, but I'll be putting that in the back and the new base rock in front.
You do write a great story ..

Thanks for the compliments, Sunny.  On the subject of rock, the best-looking rock I've found for the price is at Phishy Business or Premium Aquatics.  However, I got a beautiful 16" pyramidical piece of close branch rock from Gerbers yesterday, and Brian worked on the price with me.  Also, Rich at the Coral Ranch is expecting some rock from Australia in the next few weeks, I believe.  Contact Rich, he's a super guy, and see what he tells you.

Kev

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2010, 10:51:15 »
We won't be ready to set it up till after Christmas.  Thanks for the info on the rocks.  I'll keep that in mind. I want to go to Gerbers, never been there.