2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: New 110 Gallon Set up  (Read 5685 times)

Offline rancoo

• Adult
New 110 Gallon Set up
« on: October 01, 2010, 13:01:03 »
I just purchased a 110 gallon tank with stand/ 80lbs of live rock, A skimmer, 3 powerheads, a fluval xf5, a great lighting system, 40 lbs of live sand all for $250.  In the process of setting it all up now and am excited about the new tank. 

I have a 26 gallon bow front right now with a Lawnmower blenny that i plan on moving over to the 110 when its ready.  I also have 2 percula clowns, will they do ok with larger fish? like tangs/angels?  Not sure if i should put them in the large tank or not.  I also have a Blue Velvet Damsel in my 10 gallon, i've heard they can get pretty aggressive, would it be ok in a larger tank though?

Also other fish/invert suggestions would be great.  thanks
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
Re: New 110 Gallon Set up
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 14:41:52 »
WOW ...sounds great!

IMO ...I would ditch the fluval (unless its a fish only) and BV Damsel will become a problem later  ( some of us have nightmares of chasing damsels around a large tank trying to get them out  :laugh: )

Them clowns will be completely ok

I didn't see you mention a sump ???

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 16:07:41 »
sounds good  cant wait to see it up in running
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 16:16:26 »
It will be a fish only system and i don't have a sump.  I started my first aquarium back in May of this year and wanted a bigger one already.  Not sure how the "Sump" system works or how to set it up. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 16:33:32 »
I know a lot of people have sumps.  Are they absolutely necessary?
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 19:44:00 »
No not at all, but i wouldnt have a tank without one.. JMO

Offline Kenn

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 20:03:01 »
I have both a sump and non sump system running now ... and I now agree that I wouldnt run a system with out one.
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 20:26:22 »
ull have a lot less problems with a sump
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline starfishprime

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2010, 00:25:42 »
I like the sumps, they allow for more room so that you don't clutter the DT (heaters, skimmer). You can add baffles for a refugium, you can keep LR down there also. Just a few reasons :D

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2010, 23:29:29 »
Ok except for more room in the display tank because equipment will be in the sump, what are the other advantages?
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2010, 23:38:55 »
well  in the long run the cost of filet pad is about 2 bucks a month as to like a fluval wich could be about 15 to 25 a month  i see at first ur tank is mostly fish only so a wet dry sump  all the  left over food and fish waste will get cought in the pad and be out of the watter and not brakeing down in the watter maken niterats and phosates and with a fluval if u dont get it back toghter right it mite not work right or leak  with a sump u cant mess it up u can get away with over stack a take with a wet dry and get away with it 
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2010, 09:06:15 »
Properly designed filtration systems can perform multiple functions that all play a roll in proper water management and aesthetics. Of these functions, efficient aeration, nutrient export and the breaking down of organic waste are top priority.  The ease of maintenance to the filtration system is a close second.

A good filtration system first efficiently traps dirt / debris floating around in the water (mechanical filtration). Having decent water flow / current in the aquarium helps keep debris suspended to give the filter a better chance of catching the debris. What ever devise is the primary dirt trap needs to be easily accessed for frequent / at least weekly cleaning. This is a demonstration of nutrient export. What is meant by this is instead of leaving organic debris in your primary dirt trap and letting it decay for several days or worse, weeks, you rinse the debris down a sink drain, effectively removing the waste from the system and removing the negative impact the organic matter would otherwise have on the system. It is false to assume that the aquarium is clean because the "dirt" is in my filter. The Dirt" is still in your water and is still decaying and having a negative impact on the water quality.

After water has been mechanically filtered, the particle free water should then be delivered to the part of the filtration that performs biological filtration, in other words, the part of the filtration that consumes and/or breaks down dissolved waste in the water. This function can take place by numerous environments such as Algae, remote deep sand bed, refugium, & wet dry filter to mention a few.  In this case, being a fish tank, a wet dry type filtration would be a very good option. Wet dry filters are essentially a mini sewage treatment plant.  Countless populations of bacteria feed off the waste and convert harmful ammonia & nitrite into less harmful nitrate. What we need to do as the aquarium owner is provide the bacteria an enormous amount of surface area for the bacteria to live, and force pre-filtered (particle / debris free) aquarium water to that part of the filter multiple times per hour. Doing so allows the bacteria to feed off of and break down the harmful waste products in our water that could otherwise kill our fish. Nitrifying bacteria consume a lot of oxygen, this is partially why better designed wet dry filters have the media (typically bio balls) up out of the water with aquarium water trickling down through them. The bacteria function more efficiently with the higher content of oxygen available to them up out of the water. THe reason bioballs are used is because they are designed to have a huge amount of surface area but take up small a volume of area. You should have approximately 1 cubic gallon of bio balls for approx 20 gallons of aquarium water. A tip, Putting a simple air stone under your bio balls can more so increase the efficiency of the filtration system by supplying more fresh air to the bacteria.

Another desirable side effect of a wet dry filtration system is they can very efficiently degass (oxygenate) your water. All the crashing and churning of the water through the bio ball gets co2 out and oxygen in, even more so with the airstone below the bio balls.

Chemical filtration can also take place before or after the bio balls. This typically take place in the form of activated carbon or media designed to absorb phosphates or nitrates, etc.

Protein skimming also can be incorporated into a wet dry or sump type filtration. Ideally, the protein skimmer should be supplied with raw unfiltered or pre filtered water before the biological portion of the filter but is is acceptable to have the protein skimmer after biological filtering. A positive thing about having the protein skimmer in the sump is you can have better control over fine bubbles in the water. Hang on the aquarium type Protein skimmers often put tiny bubbles into the aquarium that can make the water foggy looking and could irritate fish / corals, etc.

To get to the point of the topic of this post, Sump style versus using a canister. 1st, canister filters are not easy, convenient filters to work on. You really need to clean, rinse or replace your dirt trap at least weekly. This is a major chore on a canister filter and could be expensive. If it is difficult to do, your eventually going to get sick of messing with it and it won't get done as often as it should be. If you had a pre filter box with sponge filters in it trapping debris, it is very simple to remove the sponge, take it to the sink and rinse it out. And, pre filter sponges typically last many, many months before needing replaced. If it's easy and convenient, your more likely to do it often. Another  benifit of a prefilter box is they surface skim the aquarium. This is very desirable because the surface of the water typically has the highest nutrient concentration. Delivering this to the filter, especially the protein skimmer can make a noticeable improvement in water quality.

Next would be adequate surface area for nitrifying bacteria & having high levels of oxygen present for the bacteria to perform efficiently. Canisters typically have a small area dedicated to biological filtration and are not and oxygen rich environment. They often yield unstable to poor water quality on the typically stocked fish aquarium.

Properly designed wet dry / sump type filters are superior to canisters filters on many levels. Fighting with an aquarium is no fun and can ruin the whole experience not to mention get expensive. Most people with canisters do not have long term positive experience with them. This early in the setting up of your tank, you could save yourself a lot of aggravation by starting with a better, easier to maintain and cheaper to maintain system.

Hope this helps, if you got more questions, ask away.

Joel

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2010, 09:38:05 »
thanks for the ten minutes of reading Joel
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline Learning_The_Hard_Way

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2010, 09:41:48 »
Nice post Joel!!!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:56 »
thanks for the ten minutes of reading Joel

Like you have something better to do...... ;D

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 11:35:01 »

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2010, 11:49:15 »
Also, I forgot about the fish question.

Ocillaris / percula clown are a great clown to mix into a community type aquarium.  As clown fish go, they are pretty mild mannered when compared to other commonly encountered clown fish. Fish such as Angel fish and tangs typically mix well with Ocillaris / Percula as well as your Lawn mower blenny. It might be a thought to not put your lawn mower blenny into the new aquarium untill is has ben fully established and has algal growth great enought that it will have something to feed on.

As per the Velvet damsel, assuming you are referring to Neoglyphidodon oxyodo , I would strongly suggest against putting it into this type of community. They get big, like 6" +, loose all that neat coloration and turn solid black and have an extremely aggressive disposition. It is common they beat up and kill other fish. Very territorial and easily could own all the space in a tank this size. They also can have an annoying habit of moving gravel around. These are better suited for a meaner, more aggressive type of community with fish such as groupers, triggers or other larger predictors. I have one right now that constantly attacks my hand & arm when I service the aquarium it is in, real mean!!!!!

Joel

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2010, 12:13:22 »
well said joel i wasnt to far off
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2010, 15:49:49 »
Well the sump for sure sounds like the best way to go, but i have no idea where to start or get its started.  Not sure if i can  afford buying new equipment right now, but to start a sump for this aquarium what would i need?
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Kenn

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2010, 15:56:58 »
#1 Read this great article ( grabbed from a post by Lazylivin)  ... http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html

Let us know when your done :)

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2010, 16:17:01 »
 OH man it seems like a lot of work, and kind of expensive. 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2010, 16:26:16 »
It really isn't a big deal to do and doesn't have to be expensive.

If I can be assistance, let me know and I will do the best I can.

Joel

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: October 03, 2010, 16:31:04 »
Are there any complete sump systems worth buying, or is it best to build your own?
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)

Offline Kenn

« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 16:36:25 »
It really isn't a big deal to do and doesn't have to be expensive.

If I can be assistance, let me know and I will do the best I can.

Joel

Rancoo, Joels offer of assistance is no small thing, he knows his stuff

Just a little FYI  ;D

Offline rancoo

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 16:39:04 »
Rancoo, Joels offer of assistance is no small thing, he knows his stuff

Just a little FYI  ;D

Well thats good to know  :matrix-smiley-007:  I  was just hoping that with all this equipment that i just bought i wouldn't have to buy much else  and not sure  how much more my wife will let me buy  :'( 
-Brad
110 Gallon (48x18x30)