2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Had to move things; new rock  (Read 5470 times)

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
Had to move things; new rock
« on: October 17, 2010, 18:27:41 »
Getting ready to put the carpet anenome in.  Had to buy additional rock and move things.  A bridge to the front and some softball-sized caves were created.  All so that the sand bed to the right could be cleared out for the new carpet and clowns.  Everything white is new.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Had to move things; new rock
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2010, 19:10:07 »
Looks nice.........here fishy, fishy, fishy.

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 00:04:39 »
That looks great. Where did you get your new rock at? I want me some of that!

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:51:29 »
I hand picked it out of the vats at Reef Systems in Columbus.  $3.99/lb.  Two 5-gal buckets of rock came to $94 plus Strickland's retirement fund... ::)
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:33 »
looks great
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:33:14 »
I hand picked it out of the vats at Reef Systems in Columbus.  $3.99/lb.  Two 5-gal buckets of rock came to $94 plus Strickland's retirement fund... ::)

Hope thats not Lace rock.....

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 14:20:26 »
That looks great. Where did you get your new rock at? I want me some of that!

Looks like the Marco Dry from Premium. I picked up 250lbs Friday for $2/lb.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2010, 14:24:51 »
Is lace rock the hard limestone stuff that's really heavy?  This stuff is Pukani, according to the sales people.  Not sure now.  What would be the problem with lace rock if that's what this is?  I'd be really REALLY pi$$ed off if this is lace rock and they charged me for live rock.

slandis3

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2010, 14:32:09 »
It looks like Pukani to me. Reef systems sold lace rock to people saying it was reef safe but I believe it leached something into the water. I am not really sure why you shouldn't use it.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 14:55:01 »
doesnt look like lace rock
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2010, 17:19:23 »
Is lace rock the hard limestone stuff that's really heavy?  This stuff is Pukani, according to the sales people.  Not sure now.  What would be the problem with lace rock if that's what this is?  I'd be really REALLY pi$$ed off if this is lace rock and they charged me for live rock.
some Lace rock is porous and light, most of the lace rock I've seen ends up having BAD hair algae problems, also if they charged you for LIVE rock you got taken, live rock isn't white.  Base rock is white.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2010, 17:52:20 »
very true   
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2010, 18:04:28 »
They (Reef Systems) just got 5,000 pounds of lace rock on 10/12 and they are advertising it for $2.50 per pound

http://www.reefsystems.com/news/9/Over-5,000-lbs-of-Lace-Rock-Now-instock-as-of-10%7B47%7D12%7B47%7D10.html

There Pukani Live Rock is listed for 4.99 per pound. However they also say:
Coralline algae coverage ranges from between 10%-50% coverage.  :hmmmm:

http://www.reefsystems.com/products/Pukani-Live-Rock.html

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2010, 19:13:27 »
never seen rock that is allmost all white  and from what they say 1 to 6 months would be brown
 Our rock has no phosphats nor nitrates. Our Rock has been in our aquaculture
           systems for a minimum of 1 month before selling. Some of our rock has been
           in our systems from between 1 - 6 months.  Coralline algae coverage ranges
           from between 10%-50% coverage.
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2010, 20:13:30 »
Well... it wasn't quite white when I got it.  Not until spending a night in club soda and Revive was it truly white...  It was brownish in the tubs.

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2010, 20:35:37 »
Well... it wasn't quite white when I got it.  Not until spending a night in club soda and Revive was it truly white...  It was brownish in the tubs.

Ok, well that makes sense in a way.  Just a FYI if your gonna do that you might as well buy base rock.  You effectivly killed off every thing you paid for.  Live rock cost so much because of the life that is on it, yes it may come with some pests but that the price you pay for buying live rock.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 20:38:11 »
Yep, I know, Lonnie.  But in this case, I figured that I had enough going on to seed this rock quickly and didn't want to fight another "gorilla war".

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 21:22:17 »
ok
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2010, 21:27:52 »
I had Aaron over at Phishy Bizness look at it to get his opinion while I was over there getting a check valve for my calc reactor and he's the one who actually said "Pukani.  Didn't know anyone had any recently.  Good price; nice rock.  Might have to go over there and get me some", so I don't think it's lace rock, but now you have me wondering...

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2010, 21:29:59 »
from what i can tell in the pic its not lace
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2010, 23:38:51 »
some Lace rock is porous and light, most of the lace rock I've seen ends up having BAD hair algae problems, also if they charged you for LIVE rock you got taken, live rock isn't white.  Base rock is white.

so that 3lb piece of lace I added to my biocube may be the reason for the sudden small outcroppings of  HA for the first time in 3 years? I'll take it out and see what happens. is lace high in phosphates or something?

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2010, 06:56:57 »
Think about it this way, LR that has been in water for long time has probably leached anything it had, but dry rock (if it has any phos, etc) wont leach sitting on store shelves.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2010, 08:16:27 »
very true
SIZE DOES MATTER