2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: food at a frag swap  (Read 6779 times)

Offline HUNGER

food at a frag swap
« on: November 19, 2010, 22:54:51 »
think about this for our frag swap to have or not to have food
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
Re: food at a frag swap
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2010, 00:02:38 »
I usually dont eat at swaps I try to time it near the end  when people are giving the best deals :) and stay for the raffle.  Although, i think it would be wise to at least have some option for folks or vendors that might be starving near the end
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2010, 00:18:20 »
Although, i think it would be wise to at least have some option for folks or vendors that might be starving near the end

I agree ... just keep it simple :)

One of the years I organized Contractors Night  \ cook-outs , I ordered the party subs from subway. I sold them for 3.00 a section (got around 9 per sub).I took out the cost of the subs and raffled off the remainder as a prize. Of course we could say "Donate $3 to Ohio Reef and get a FREE sub !"  :laugh:

Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2010, 20:15:58 »
Ive never fed at a frag swap, but it would make history to have chipotle cater the swap, plus its more universally loved than pizza!

Offline bnkohrn

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 20:20:08 »
Chipotle is superb  :smiley-happy112:

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2010, 00:33:50 »
Ive never fed at a frag swap, but it would make history to have chipotle cater the swap, plus its more universally loved than pizza!
yes it is would love to do that

SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2010, 06:14:08 »
I think the profit margins would be MUCH lower on chiptle than pizza.  Much harder to break even i suspect, but havent seen prices.

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2010, 08:32:06 »
take a look at chic fil a.  out at the base they do chic fil a sales all the time.  a sandwhich, a soda, and a bag of chips... 5 bucks.  They make money on it.  They go out buy a couple of 24 packs, a pack(s) of water then a couple of packages of the varity pack chips at sams club.... then buy a butt load of sandwhichs (at a discount)

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2010, 11:22:55 »
take a look at chic fil a.  out at the base they do chic fil a sales all the time.  a sandwhich, a soda, and a bag of chips... 5 bucks.  They make money on it.  They go out buy a couple of 24 packs, a pack(s) of water then a couple of packages of the varity pack chips at sams club.... then buy a butt load of sandwhichs (at a discount)

GOD, i cant count how many times Ive had to setup a chic fila fundraiser lol.  I think if you order 50+ they sell bulk sandwiches for $2.60 each.  But again you have to estimate how many you will sell pretty accurately.  Leftovers get you into the red really quicks at $2.60 each

slandis3

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2010, 11:43:47 »
I say do it like the fist swap. Order pizza mia's from pizza hut $5each and sell for $1 a slice. You will make $2-$3 on each pizza. Go to sams and get pop and sell for .50 a can. We sold out of pizza last time in about 2 hours.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2010, 11:53:56 »
could do that sell for a buck a piece
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline stickboy_107

• Adult
  • GIVE ME ONE OF EVERYTHING [just dont tell my wife]
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2010, 12:58:36 »
Ok, last year we were giving pizza away at the end because there was so much left over. Pizza is good with me, but let's only order about 7 pizzas to start and if we need more then we can call and get more. Sell at a buck a slice. Wes, how many did we order last year, do you remember? Also, need someone to get pop. I think Wes got it really reasonable last year and chips or candy as well. Let's see what was ordered for last year, and go from there.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2010, 14:44:19 »
I dont recall how many pizzas we ordered last year... i will try to look through some threads later.  I just got soda, chips, and a pack of candy from sams.  The real advantage to last year, i was able to sell (at cost) all leftovers to the snackbar at my old job.  This year we will have to be more conservative on buying pop and chips becuase we will have to eat the cost of leftovers (literally) :)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2010, 16:45:08 »

YES!!!! I would pay twice as much to get in lol.

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2010, 19:55:12 »
I run a multimillion dollar food service operation and can probably help organize/cook if this idea "pans out"...  :matrix-smiley-007:

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2010, 20:39:28 »
I run a multimillion dollar food service operation and can probably help organize/cook if this idea "pans out"...  :matrix-smiley-007:
I hope the idea you are talking about is the one about having chipotle come visit

We would need plenty of this on stock

(need to watch south park to get it)

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2010, 21:20:15 »
that would be nice but sounds kinda pricey?

we were selling pizza last year for 2 bucks a slice i thought we got 7 or 9 pizzas
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2010, 18:23:46 »
I hope the idea you are talking about is the one about having chipotle come visit

We would need plenty of this on stock

(need to watch south park to get it)

Wait wait wait..... I dont understand.....    your mom cleans blood out of your underwear and continues to buy you chipotle?

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2010, 20:53:56 »
thats to funny
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2010, 17:14:26 »
I can buy the food wholesale and do the cooking too.... just need assistance getting our 6' propane BBQ from work to the swap.... after that, just a few coolers and chafers as well as a few volunteers to collect the money while I cook.... could KISS - chic quarters, sausages, sirloin burgers and maybe some ½ rack of ribs with 2 sides, 2 cookies and a bottled beverage for $4 - $7.... do this at work a few times a year (on top of catering) to raise funds for our Alzheimer facility.... open to suggestions....

Just let me know...

Ken  :drink

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2010, 17:21:39 »
Man that sounds really really good! We may not make any money but it makes the swap much more like an event with real food.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2010, 18:07:18 »
how much would that cost us to do ?
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2010, 18:33:05 »
This is becoming a family event lol

Offline tidepool

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2010, 21:30:05 »
If I did it, probably would not cost the club a thing - just need a better idea of what people would buy for an entree (hot dogs, burgers, sausages, quarter chicken, ½ rack ribs???), sides, condiments, etc and roughly who many would eat - prices would be "reasonable" and when it's all said and done, I'm sure we would actually make a little profit for the club... could do a survey for the members similar to the way voting for various topics are done to get a handle on this.... suggest starting out "simple" in year one and building from there... I can "borrow" all the chaffers, serving utensils, BBQ, etc from work as long as there is not some type of conflicting event booked - for that matter, I can book out an event at work with the BBQ to ensure there will not be a problem - LOL!!!  It's good to be the boss sometimes....  :matrix-smiley-007:

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2010, 21:49:47 »
If I did it, probably would not cost the club a thing - just need a better idea of what people would buy for an entree (hot dogs, burgers, sausages, quarter chicken, ½ rack ribs???), sides, condiments, etc and roughly who many would eat - prices would be "reasonable" and when it's all said and done, I'm sure we would actually make a little profit for the club... could do a survey for the members similar to the way voting for various topics are done to get a handle on this.... suggest starting out "simple" in year one and building from there... I can "borrow" all the chaffers, serving utensils, BBQ, etc from work as long as there is not some type of conflicting event booked - for that matter, I can book out an event at work with the BBQ to ensure there will not be a problem - LOL!!!  It's good to be the boss sometimes....  :matrix-smiley-007:

What is the easiest food item to cook to order?  I think the problem we are going to run into, it is VERY hard to gauge what, if, and how much people are going to eat.  That the reason this thread exists, both years we ran into problems over buying. 

I just dont want you to invest your time, overhead, and foodcost only for it to be a wash.  Is there a food that you can cook to order so that there is not alot of waste (food and money) if it doesnt sell as well as we hope.

I also think trying to market this as more of a family picnic is a great idea.  Maybe cornhole and other picnic type things?