2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: WTB a Camera  (Read 10188 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
WTB a Camera
« on: July 20, 2009, 02:03:09 »
Looking to replace my point and shoot camera with something that takes nice macro shots and for family photos. Was thinking of going with a Nikon D40 or D50 and standard lens and later purchase a macro lens. Does anyone have a recommendation of affordable online vendor that they have had good experience with?

slandis3

Re: WTB a Camera
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2009, 05:08:04 »
My mom has the nikon d40. She has used nikon for as long as i can remember. She has said this is her last nikon. This camera has been alot of trouble. The flash hangs all the time which it then wont let you take the pic. The lens mount is getting lose.She has sent it out for repain 3 time for different things. I think she os going to get a canon like mine. I have the rebel xti and i love it. I got mine through dell because of the company discount i get. A friend of mine got his off ebay and had great luck with it. The company he got it from forgot to send the extra battery with it so they sent him 2 to make up for it.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2009, 06:38:33 »
Maybe becuase the d40 and d50 are their lower end products? But still no excuse for that on a camera of that price. My inlaws have a d70 and d90. I love both and they hold up really well. Are far are canon bs nikon. Usualy it's just prefernce, then once you amass a lens collection you are locked into that brand.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2009, 08:38:16 »
Have you used the Nikon D-SLR's? I think the Canon's are easier to use, and the kit lense is better.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2009, 08:47:24 »
The best thing to do is just go shopping. The canons are smaller in size which make it hard for some people to use and hold.but, I think my canon menu is easier to navigate through compared to the nikon

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009, 08:57:07 »
The cannon Rebel XTI looks like a really nice camera but a bit out of my price range, unless I go refurbished (not opposed to that). My wife is only allowing me to spend 600$ with tax and shipping.  :laugh:

slandis3

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2009, 09:21:21 »
Looks like he only has the XSI $1000+ and EOS for 775$ for sale right now.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2009, 09:37:49 »
B&H Video has the XSi for $640, free shipping. If it helps, all the photos I have posted were taken with this camera, and the kit lense.

Offline larrynews

« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2009, 09:39:21 »

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2009, 10:00:45 »
The link I provided should have sent u to a xti he has for sell

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2009, 12:46:34 »
The link I provided should have sent u to a xti he has for sell

That was just for the lens  :crybaby

B&H Video has the XSi for $640, free shipping. If it helps, all the photos I have posted were taken with this camera, and the kit lense.

That is the best price from a legit site I have seen so far.

here is a great site i use a lot

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Great site, thanks for the link

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2009, 13:04:09 »
I love my D40. One day I may upgrade but I have yet to see the need! I have never felt any limitations with this camera. On a side note do not let megapixels determine your choice. Anything between 6 and 10 is plenty unless you plan on making wall size prints on a regular basis (ie. a 6 megapixel normal size print will look the same as a 21 megapixel!).

I highly recommend going to a local dealer even if the price is not as good. You want a camera that fits your hand well that your are comfortable this (viewfinder, interface, weight, etc). Comfort actually becomes one of the most important factors unless you are planning to become a semi-professional photographer. Almost any of the entry DSLR's will be more than enough to meet your needs. A D40 or D90 will be plenty enough or the matching Cannon bodys.

If you really want to put money into something skip the body and focus on the glass (lens). These will never become obsolete and make the biggest difference in pictures.

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2009, 13:32:16 »
+1 on the dikon d camera
have a d50
take wonderful photo
also lens is way cheap than canon
by the way canon is very good camera also

d40 will only cost u $400-$500.00

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2009, 20:24:28 »
Starting from scratch, I would recommend going and playing with a Nikon and a Cannon.

I've used a Nikon stuff for a while.  So I had plenty of lenses, so it was natural for me to get a D80.  I have a Tamron 90mm Macro Lens that takes nice pictures.

There are pretty good reviews to read at http://www.dpreview.com/

slandis3

Reefd Up

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 22:13:07 »
here is a great site i use a lot

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

+1 on Steve's Digicams...awesome site (at least it was when I bought my last camera.)

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2009, 22:26:56 »
You guys and you Nikons :P

I hate Nikons. Lenses may be cheaper, but I don't think they are quality. I remember when Trimble Navigation purchased Nikons Survey side. The optics were crap compared to the Zeiss units Trimble sold.

Not only that, but the menus, and interface is freakin confusing.

Its like the Blackberry thing for those of us in the cell world. People hate it, until they learn it I guess.

Anyways. Canon lenses may be more expensive. But your getting a better sensor in the body, and a MUCH easier camera to use.

Sadly I have to get rid of mine tommorrow :(

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2009, 22:30:24 »
I bought my last camera Canon from Dell, you might want to go to there web site and look they have several different xsi i wasnt for sure what size you was wanting but they do have several different ones

Offline coral ranch

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2009, 22:58:50 »
Brian I have a nikon D40 at the green house. Next time you stop by you can give it a try if you'd like.

Offline harleyrider

• Adult
  • If you have to ask, you cant afford it!
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2009, 14:51:47 »
FYI: walmart has the nikon d-40 with lense i beleive it was a 18-55mm for $448.84

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2009, 20:02:07 »
Thank you all for your input. I have not had much time to research due to crazy work schedule. Going to take Logzor recommendation and look at them in person at the store. If anyone comes across good deals used let me know.

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2009, 08:58:34 »
I have a line on a nikon d40x used. Interested?? Asking $400.00. He may take less.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2009, 20:24:21 »
Pretty sure I have made the decision on the lens. It is the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Lens. Does anyone have this one or see any reason why this one may not be a good choice? Still need to decide on which camera manufacture, Cannon or Nikon

There are two versions, one for the Cannon

http://www.jr.com/sigma/pe/SGA_CA105MACRO

and one for the Nikon

http://www.jr.com/sigma/pe/SGA_NA105MACRO

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2009, 21:52:46 »
I have said it before, and I will say it again. Canon. Much easier to use, better build quality. I sold my Rebel XSI when I purchased this car. I am borrowing a Nikon D60 from a friend. The Canon by FAR (much FARTHER), is a better camera out of the box.

The Canon is easier to use, and the kit lense is better.

As far as the Sigma goes, I have used those aswell. Regardless, Canon or Nikon, Get a Canon or Nikon lense. There is a reason they are so cheap. I have used both, on Both Cameras.

Canon Body, Canon lense = Win.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2009, 22:50:51 »
Of course the Nikon guys say the same thing :)   I have a Nikon N70 35mm, and Now a Nikon D80

Since you don't have anything, go play with both..... Get whatever is comfortable.

I was looking at the Sigma Lens, but it will be about a 155 focal length on the digital body.   I have the Tamron 90mm F2.8  and I still find I have to backup to get the whole shot.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2009, 23:25:51 »
Of course the Nikon guys say the same thing :)   I have a Nikon N70 35mm, and Now a Nikon D80

Since you don't have anything, go play with both..... Get whatever is comfortable.

I was looking at the Sigma Lens, but it will be about a 155 focal length on the digital body.   I have the Tamron 90mm F2.8  and I still find I have to backup to get the whole shot.

Very true! Go play with them! In my opinion the Canon's are easier.

But Tamron lenses are much better than the Sigma lenses hands down. Still can't beat a Nikon or Canon lense though :P What did the 90mm F/2.8 run you?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 03:03:12 »
One of the important features is to be able to save the settings on the camera such as white balance. Is that a pretty standard feature with both Nikon and Canon? My Point and Shoot does not save which is a pain in the butt.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 08:19:23 »
One of the important features is to be able to save the settings on the camera such as white balance. Is that a pretty standard feature with both Nikon and Canon? My Point and Shoot does not save which is a pain in the butt.

I never tryed it on the Canon. The Nikon does. But its a pain in the rear to set.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 12:46:05 »
The Tamron lense was less than 1/2 the cost of the comparable Nikon lens.  Still I think it was about $350.

Nikon will retain settings of each mode to whatever you last set them.   Both cameras should also be able to save a RAW file too.   I have my camera set to save a jpg and a Raw file for every shot.  That way if I happen to get that perfect shot, but something is off in the Balence, I have the RAW image I can adjust with the computer.

If you really want to play, your more than welcome to come over and play with my D80.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 14:30:52 »
Thanks Paul I will take you on that

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2009, 22:30:20 »
With the holidays coming up the camera companies have a lot of rebates out there so I took advantage of that and bought a Cannon t1i and Tamaron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. It should be here Thursday. Cant wait!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #32 on: November 18, 2009, 19:17:08 »
With the holidays coming up the camera companies have a lot of rebates out there so I took advantage of that and bought a Cannon t1i and Tamaron 90mm f/2.8 macro lens. It should be here Thursday. Cant wait!

Looks like a good choice.  We expect a ton of new pics

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2009, 21:16:54 »
Here are some of the first pics from the camera. It is not as easy to use as the old Point and Shoot. Going to take some time to get used to all the settings.
Most are pretty cropped.

Birdsnest

Ricordea and some POM POM Xenia

Bam Bam Zoa's

Green and Blue Acan

About a 300% crop on some GSP

Tyree Sunset

Goniopora

New Sump and Skimmer getting ready to hold all the corals while the new tank gets built

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2009, 21:50:28 »
That GSP is awesome... I never noticed the little brown hair things.. What MM are you shooting those macros at?
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: November 22, 2009, 22:25:29 »
Here are some of the first pics from the camera. It is not as easy to use as the old Point and Shoot. Going to take some time to get used to all the settings.
Most are pretty cropped.]

Get yourself a big and fast memory card.  You'll take a dozen for every one you like.  Definately not your old point and shoot.

Play with Depth of Field.   That tamron is a pretty fast lens, so you can shoot with a small aperature and still keep a fast shutter.    I shoot in aperture priority mode and then shoot some with small aperatures and some wide open.   And almost always in manual focus.

What software are you using to edit?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2009, 00:25:18 »
Wes I am shooting with a 90mm Tamron Lens.

Paul I don't have anything other then Picassa to edit the photos. Is there a tool that you recommend?

These particular photos were cropped after I uploaded to Photobucket. They got some pretty neat tools. The only bad thing is it it strips all the camera and lens information from the pictures.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2009, 06:15:22 »
WOW awesome pics!!!

Blown76mav

« Reply #38 on: November 23, 2009, 06:26:06 »
Those look great Brian.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2009, 08:10:43 »
Thanks guys, hope you all don't get sick of seeing my pictures cause I will like to be posting some more as I learn more about camera.

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2009, 08:15:18 »
come now, do you think we would honestly grow tired of looking at pictures :D

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2009, 08:27:44 »
vary cool ;D
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2009, 09:09:31 »
Wes I am shooting with a 90mm Tamron Lens.

Paul I don't have anything other then Picassa to edit the photos. Is there a tool that you recommend?

www.gimp.org     Open Source Image editing program. 

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2009, 10:46:40 »
Thanks will get it a try

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2009, 00:24:59 »
Took a couple more shots tonight. These came from the frag tank. Not real close up like the others because the table the tank is on sticks out and wont allow the tripod to get close to the tank.

Bought these at CORA, they are Dijton Pink and Gold but have morphed to have a greenish center in my tank.

Same as above but in lower light, think I will move it now.

My favorite of all Zoa's....Magician's.

Rainbows

Goochster

Cherry Coral Orange Crush Acan

Coral Ranch Acro

Frag Tank, check out the Acro in the upper left had corner. It is from Coral Ranch and is dark purple base with blue, green and purple branches. They had this for a year and no one bought it. Just did not look good under the Kelvin of the sun. When I got it home under the lights I was ecstatic, Thanks Rich!

The guy I got these from called them Spiderman's. Got one polyp at CORA and they are growing good.

Coral Ranch Captain America's

ORA Monti.

Probrably my favorite coral. It is a Tyree something. Color is pretty amazing.

Thanks for looking.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2009, 00:41:59 »
Great photos Lazy!

I'll take one of each ;)
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

RTN_H8ter

« Reply #46 on: November 30, 2009, 16:03:48 »
These are great photos! Glad to see more Canon's and less Nikons.

But they are pixelated. So either your host is resizing or compressing them, or you are cropping them too much. Try imageshack.us to host them, and don't crop as much. But by the looks of it, I think its your host.

Blown76mav

« Reply #47 on: November 30, 2009, 16:11:40 »
These are great photos! Glad to see more Canon's and less Nikons.

But they are pixelated. So either your host is resizing or compressing them, or you are cropping them too much. Try imageshack.us to host them, and don't crop as much. But by the looks of it, I think its your host.

Na its gotta be on your end probably a PC thing.  Those pictures are fine I can blow them up to over 22inchs wide and they are still clear as a bell.  But then again, I'm using a little larger monitor than most and by far a better computer. ;D

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #48 on: November 30, 2009, 18:06:58 »
thats a tyree undata
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: November 30, 2009, 21:07:02 »
Great pics Brian......the frag tank is looking good.

RTN_H8ter

« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 11:31:28 »
Na its gotta be on your end probably a PC thing.  Those pictures are fine I can blow them up to over 22inchs wide and they are still clear as a bell.  But then again, I'm using a little larger monitor than most and by far a better computer. ;D

LOL Not a PC thing, as I am not useing a pc. Mickis photos in her thread are the same, its the forum, its compressing the images. Same on my 24" iMac, Mini with a 21" viewsonic, Mini on a 60" DLP, and my crappy Acer running Vista.

Did they look ok when you saved them?

I'm just trying to help him display the images as good as possible. Maybe I am a little Anal abotu image quality. :D

slandis3

« Reply #51 on: December 03, 2009, 11:53:03 »
LOL Not a PC thing, as I am not useing a pc. Mickis photos in her thread are the same, its the forum, its compressing the images. Same on my 24" iMac, Mini with a 21" viewsonic, Mini on a 60" DLP, and my crappy Acer running Vista.

Did they look ok when you saved them?

I'm just trying to help him display the images as good as possible. Maybe I am a little Anal abotu image quality. :D

You seem like a fairly technical guy. Maybe you should host a meeting showing us how to crop pictures and post them so they look better. I know I could use some help.  ;)

RTN_H8ter

« Reply #52 on: December 03, 2009, 12:21:55 »
You seem like a fairly technical guy. Maybe you should host a meeting showing us how to crop pictures and post them so they look better. I know I could use some help.  ;)

I am a Technical Guy, not like I used to be though. I would love to meet you in person, maybe in a month or so we can all meet up!

slandis3

« Reply #53 on: December 03, 2009, 13:32:19 »
We are still looking for a host for December's meeting.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 13:35:06 by slandis3 »

Offline rayk

• Juvenile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 20:15:41 »
Microsoft Live.COM has 25 gig of space for free, and you can load whatever size image you want.  It will resize if you want, but you can load the full size if desired.

~Rayk

Offline Seano Hermano

• Seano
  • Adult
    • Concept Reef
« Reply #55 on: July 01, 2010, 00:38:20 »
Maybe becuase the d40 and d50 are their lower end products? But still no excuse for that on a camera of that price. My inlaws have a d70 and d90. I love both and they hold up really well. Are far are canon bs nikon. Usualy it's just prefernce, then once you amass a lens collection you are locked into that brand.
Yes actually. The smaller numbers are the lower quality/cheaper cameras. The high numbers are the better, usually more expensive ones.
Sean

29G Reef Build
10G sump
Hydor Slim Skim Nano protein skimmer
Danner Mag Drive 7 return pump

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2010, 21:17:44 »
I just happened to notice this thread...  I shoot with a Nikon D2H and a D2Hs.  Both are 4.3 Mp cameras.  I enjoy watching the "experts" on DPreview talk about Canon vs. Nikon, and about megapixel counts.  Both of my cameras take excellent pictures, and I'd put my images up against anyone with the latest Nikon or Canon product.  The LBCAST sensor in the D2H and D2Hs had the best color accuracy and pixel quality / performance of a Nikon imaging chip in any generation until the Nikon D3 came out.  However, the camera is very noisy at higher ISO settings.I can't comment on Canon, as I don't use their product.  My wife shoots with a D70.  I can tell you that one of the semi-pros in the Cincy area put my Nikon up against his Canon (full frame, not sure of the model), as I let him use it for a wedding shoot over a weekend.  He now shoots with a D3 due to color rendition, flexibility of the Nikon Lighting System, and ease of controls over whatever he had; this is his opinion, not mine.   Today's cameras are awesome.  But the picture is only as good as the person behind the camera and the post-processing activities.  My $0.02 worth.  BTW, both of my camera bodies are up for sale to help me afford a refurb'd D3.  I've shot with Nikon and Mamiya since I was about 8 years old.  For the price of a digital back for my Mamiya RZ-67 I used to own, I could afford a mid-90's Porsche 911.  So the RZ is loooong gone.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #57 on: October 19, 2010, 21:53:45 »
I just happened to notice this thread...  I shoot with a Nikon D2H and a D2Hs.  Both are 4.3 Mp cameras.  I enjoy watching the "experts" on DPreview talk about Canon vs. Nikon, and about megapixel counts.  Both of my cameras take excellent pictures, and I'd put my images up against anyone with the latest Nikon or Canon product.  The LBCAST sensor in the D2H and D2Hs had the best color accuracy and pixel quality / performance of a Nikon imaging chip in any generation until the Nikon D3 came out.  However, the camera is very noisy at higher ISO settings.I can't comment on Canon, as I don't use their product.  My wife shoots with a D70.  I can tell you that one of the semi-pros in the Cincy area put my Nikon up against his Canon (full frame, not sure of the model), as I let him use it for a wedding shoot over a weekend.  He now shoots with a D3 due to color rendition, flexibility of the Nikon Lighting System, and ease of controls over whatever he had; this is his opinion, not mine.   Today's cameras are awesome.  But the picture is only as good as the person behind the camera and the post-processing activities.  My $0.02 worth.  BTW, both of my camera bodies are up for sale to help me afford a refurb'd D3.  I've shot with Nikon and Mamiya since I was about 8 years old.  For the price of a digital back for my Mamiya RZ-67 I used to own, I could afford a mid-90's Porsche 911.  So the RZ is loooong gone.

Kev

I'll give you one thing, the Canons color rendition in saturated environments, sucks. And bad. All of my coral pics require a touch up, and its annoying. I can't speak for the older Nikons, but the newer Nikons I have used (D70, D40) suck. Slow to focus, soft focus, poor focus, poor metering. Just bad all around, and not just with the kit lense. 

MP does matter, and greatly in certain situations. It sounds like you have pixel envy :p. But seriously, its easier to crop a high res photo. It gives me the option of not zooming quite so much, so I can crop, and straighten a photo. Plus anyone who thinks an 8x10 @ less than 8MP looks good, well, get some reading glasses. My shots are ALWAYS level, but the subjects aren't always level. The last wedding I shot was a perfect example. I spent hours fixing photos because it was outdoors, and the altar was a -1.5 degrees off.

As far as High ISO noise, they are all noisy. Canons post processing is great though, although it is ridiculously slow.

I enjoy all the "Pros" who are stuck on film Nikons (which rocked Canons socks!), trying to adjust to the new all digital world. When I took photography we used 35MM Nikons, and wow, just wow. Great bodies 10 years ago.

The key here is this. Its not an Apples to Apples comparison in my "pro" (pro-sumer?) experience. Everyone looking for a new pro, or SLR should go out and try all the offerings. Several places rent bodies, some with ridiculous prices (and deposits) some without. Do some research on the lense you will need for the type of photography you will do most, rent both bodies, and lenses. cameralenserental.com is awesome, and fairly local. I use them all the time. My last rental was for a 28-70 f/2.0, and 70-200 f/2.0 IS, one week for $155 shipped both ways.

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #58 on: October 19, 2010, 22:58:32 »
Yeah, Chris, the IS lenses are great pieces of glass, and in my opinion, maybe better than the Nikon ED glass.  Actually, I don't have pixel envy at all.  I've always been a voracious defender of the LBCAST sensor; the D2X used a horrible sensor.  The LBCAST pixels are larger than the higher megapixel CMOS units in Nikon's later offerings.  My wife's D70 shoots great snapshots, but is slow and the user interface just sucks the hind mammary unit something awful.  Focusing and metering run at a snail's pace. 

Both of my D2-series units run at 8 fps, and the focusing is lightning fast.  The Matrix metering on the D2Hs is better than the D2H, and both cameras are highly-intuitive to use.  I love the full weather-seal on the bodies.  Plus, IMO they fit the hand better than the Canon offerings. 

I generally don't print at anything larger than 13 X 19, so my cameras work fine.  If I'm going larger, like for a photo contest, then I use Genuine Fractals, and it works out great.  I just wish I could shoot at the ultra-high ISO's with the low noise levels that the D3 runs at.

I miss the film cameras sometimes. I started out with a Mamiya 32B 35mm cloth shutter SLR, and then went to the F1; used, built like a brick outhouse.  I had an F3HP, an F4s, an F5, and used an F100 as a throwdown until I went digital.  I started out in medium-format using a Rolleicord TLR, then a Rollieflex, then moved to the Mamiya M645, followed by the RB- and then the RZ67.  Medium format was too expensive and I couldn't support the costs, so they all went in the closet.  Out of all of these cameras, including my Nikon glass, the Mamiya-Sekor lenses were just... superb.

These days, I often see people shooting with high-end DSLR's, and don't even know what an f-stop or depth of field even is.  They just bought it 'coz they were jonesing.  You know the type.

We outta get together and talk cameras someday.  BTW, I don't shoot for a living or to make money, and avoid taking pics of people.  Don't like it.  I prefer nature and architecture.

Kev
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...