2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Anyone fly RC Heli's/ or RC's In General?  (Read 5820 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: Anyone fly RC Heli's?
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2011, 17:58:08 »
Bummer, I am really kicking around a new truck build... I know mike has his, be cool to have some peeps to run them with, as most my old chronies have either gotten out of it or moved outa state.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2011, 18:05:35 »
Nope, not anymore. You can Thank my ex for that! I had roughly 6K sunk into this highly addictive hobby (wheeled vehicles)
ouch man that blows
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2011, 18:50:13 »

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2011, 19:01:31 »
He just replied via texting... he stated he can do 20% off.... just mention my name (Gary Moore)

Isiah is the owner, it's a small family owner/operated shop

Randy and his wife are out of the business?
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2011, 19:10:31 »
I have, sitting on the shelf behind me, a JR XP8103 PCM/FM transmitter that is model-programmable and works for anything you want to fly.  It's older technology, has about ten hours on it, but is a superb transmitter.  I bought it in 2001 just before leaving the hobby.  It would be for sale if anyone was interested.

I have two Fuji micro-helis that I bought in Japan that fly themselves, pretty much.  No skill involved.  I'm moving into the quad-rotor Parrot.  I saw a guy in Japan fly someting like one of these through a crowded shopping area; seemed like it was doing about 30mph forward.  It's not this, it was called a Raptor Drone.  http://store.apple.com/us/product/H1991ZM/A/Parrot_AR_Drone
90g SPS and LPS reef tank, 35g sump, ceramic rock by The Alternative Reef, Neptune Apex w 2 X EB8's, Moonlight module, ATI Sunpower Dimmable 8 X 39W T5's, Octopus Extreme 160 skimmer, PM Kalkwasser Reactor, 2 X Vortech MP40's, Geo 618 Ca reactor

Various thriving montipora, acropora, stylopora, wellsophyllia, blastomussa, hammer, anchor, and frogspawn, lobophyllia, rhizotrychus, pavona, scroll, and pagoda SPS and LPS corals, but no fish because I was too stupid to QT...

Offline Viggen

« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2011, 20:57:09 »
Randy and his wife are out of the business?

Randy/wife never owned the shop I was referring to, a cousin of mine owns the shop.  I think he's only had a storefront for two or three years now,,,,,  Sold online and airplane shows for several years prior.

I plan on snagging one of the more indoor friendly electric copters.... he told me he has one in for under $100 that's a great performer.  I hope to head out in a few days to his shop & hopefully come home with a few xmas presents for myself.

I had RC cars about 25 years ago & have been debating on getting a RC car again.  I had the Frog back in the day...... Anyways.... I just found out this past weekend my brother has two traxxis nitro trucks (purchased from his wifes parents in TX) & I was thinking of getting one so I could go play with his. 

What's the preferance nitro vs electric ..... car vs truck
300g tub o fish

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2011, 21:00:02 »
Nitro anything!  >:D

I plan on snagging one of the more indoor friendly electric copters.... he told me he has one in for under $100 that's a great performer.

Can you find out what model/make it is? Interested in chasing my girlfriend around the apartment with it!

Offline Ashlar

• Adult
  • DIY Frankenstein
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2011, 21:06:21 »
I sooo need to avoid getting back into nitro trucks.

Waaay too much money.

This was the last truck that I built.. tmaxx 2.5 (before the revo came out.)

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2011, 21:11:50 »
Gary, it depends on what you want it to do... electric has quickness and speed, but usually must maintain lightweights and require batteries and charge times...

Nitros are quick and fast aswell, but they can also maintain their weight, and don't have the recharge times... but you now have higher fuel costs.

I personally prefer nitro... also another thing to think of is where you are running it... a nitro truck makes abit of noise especially when your running them wide open... running it constantly in your neighborhood might make a few disgruntled neighbors.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2011, 21:34:40 »

Offline Viggen

« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2011, 21:54:07 »
I think he mentioned the helicopter retailed for $100 & he is selling it for $70..... I will get the model on it when I have time to stop by his shop.  He said it's easy to fly indoor

Car wise... hmmm... at work I have plenty of room to not bother the neighbors to much but yea at home it would probably make the neighbors not so happy with nitro.  I think I would have more fun with nitro.... more powa right :)
300g tub o fish

Offline Blown76mav

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2011, 21:59:04 »
  I think I would have more fun with nitro.... more powa right :)

Nope >:D >:D

Offline Reefpete

• My pain is self chosen
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2011, 22:22:34 »

I think I would have more fun with nitro.... more powa right :)

Yeah, that's how it used to be back in the day before lipo batteries, and brushless motors.
 I like nitro because of the more realistic mechanical aspect, and I love the sound of a .21 engine "on the pipe"
They both have a Pro vs. Con list a mile long and they can be argued from either side equally.
Do some research, talk to lots of people, read reviews of whatever your buying.   

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2011, 22:57:41 »
I enjoy nitro more... but i wont argue the speed and quickness of electric....

With electric the power is always there... its on or off... nitro isn't always as quick, but you get the sounds, no fuss with batteries, and more fun to work and tweak on...

Plus a lipo can burn your house down in a moment... nitro not soo much.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 23:02:45 by Boonjob »

Offline kattz

• Old surfer dude
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2011, 23:02:45 »
Randy/wife never owned the shop I was referring to, a cousin of mine owns the shop.  I think he's only had a storefront for two or three years now,,,,,  Sold online and airplane shows for several years prior
Where is this shop?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2011, 23:04:36 »
I like nitro because of the more realistic mechanical aspect, and I love the sound of a .21 engine "on the pipe"

F the .21 ... .27 picco outlaw ;), just screams

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #42 on: December 15, 2011, 01:22:16 »
Wow....how did I miss this thread.

I've had a few heli's over the years....from a micro's the whole way up to a Century predator....running a 26cc gasser.  That thing scared the shit outta me and I sold it after hovering it once. 

As for new heli's....the prices you see in your LFS are so out of line anymore it's nuts.  I'll buy a Chinese clone any day over a name brand unit.  My latest full CNC 450 sized heli cost something like $27 for the kit.  All up and flying I think I've got maybe $300 in it.  Now I just have to finish building it.  Any yes I've have a giant scale planes as well.

As for cars....the most fun I've had with one is with a first generation E-Maxx which I made brushless.  You can pick up a roller for around $100 or less, add a brushless speed control and motor, upgraded the steering servo, and beat the snot out of it.  Those gen 1 trucks are so tough it's rare I break anything and then it's usually axles as I'm twisting them off due to the torque.  You won't be doing that with any Nitro.

As for batteries on your cars and trucks, forget lipo....go A123.  Those are some killer cells that put out 120% until their dead.  The truck will go wide open and when they are dead you go about 20 feet and that's it.  Those cells take a beating and love every minute of it.  I charge at 5 amps....which means a lot shorter charge times when compared to any other battery chemistry.

My latest project.....quadcopter.  Would like to make it a full UAV, but that costs even more money.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #43 on: December 15, 2011, 08:17:34 »
Where is this shop?

His shop is off of fairfield rd just north of 35.  Pretty much across the street from Marion's Pizza

Yea... saw there was that 100+ mph electric... man have they come a long way in the 25 years since I owned one last.

I think for ease of maintenance I will probably start with a electric car/truck of some type.  Then see how much I do/don't get into it and possibly go a different route later.  My thought was also that my 9, 11 & 12yr olds would have a easier time with electric.
300g tub o fish

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #44 on: December 15, 2011, 08:18:50 »
I twisted and broke dog bones all day long with my nitro savage with the picco .27 bigblock.

I couldn't even run plastic in it, they would snap before I was even out of first gear... aluminum would twist and eventually break, I had to go steel, and they would even get twisted after a good day's running.

I used to sheer bell housings and fly wheels aswell with it... That truck would do every bit 65mph and would run wheelies through 1st and 2nd...

It's not so much that electric has more hp or torque than gas... its just that with electric it can hit is max power alot sooner than gas... with electric the power is instantly there; you flip a switch and your at max power... with nitro there's a curve before you hit peak power.

Theres a reason why they make trains electric ;)

I like electric, but it doesn't feel right... it always seems like the nitro gets me going more...  If i had to go with a small street racer i would most likely go electric
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 08:47:49 by Boonjob »

Offline Neogenesis

Re: Anyone fly RC Heli's / or RC in general?
« Reply #45 on: December 15, 2011, 08:30:14 »
I'll be honest........since I've quit flying nitro planes......I miss that smell in the morning.  Gas oil mix just isn't the same. 

And speaking of younger kids and trucks.....I really like the traxxas ESC's because they have a training mode built in.  It cuts the throttle down by 50% until the kids learn the ropes.  A quick reprogram and it's back to 100%.  I've used it with my 2 younger ones with great results....besides the constant complaining that they need more power.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2011, 13:54:00 by Boonjob »

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #46 on: December 15, 2011, 08:53:23 »
Just talking about this makes me want to go buy another one right now... lol I just dont know if I want another newer basher, or if I want to go stadium or buggy...

I really like the jato but I am afraid I would be apt to push it to hard and casue alot of repairs. I may just need to get a new savage...

I also like the nitro rs4 mt2 from hpi

hmmm decisions decisions decisions

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #47 on: December 15, 2011, 08:55:58 »
Well I may leave work at 11 today and get some gas for the revo and tmaxx and go hit the park lol

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #48 on: December 15, 2011, 09:03:25 »
I had a stampede that had a rustler front end on it.....went brushless, broke the dam thing every time I ran it.  Something about cartwheeling for 50ft always breaks parts.

What I've been really wanting is a 1/5th scale buggy/truck.  It's the amount of cash it takes to get one that my wife doesn't like.

Offline slandis3

• Slandiscreations
« Reply #49 on: December 15, 2011, 09:07:44 »

What I've been really wanting is a 1/5th scale buggy/truck.  It's the amount of cash it takes to get one that my wife doesn't like.

+1 lol